Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii history and cannibalism
You slacking Kalakoa, where is your cynical, state / county segue spin ?

It should be abundantly clear to all involves that neither County nor State are relevant to daily life in Puna.
reminds me of my grandpa ie sardonic wit -"mid 17th cent.: from French sardonique, earlier sardonien, via Latin from Greek sardonios ‘of Sardinia,’ alteration of sardanios, used by Homer to describe bitter or scornful laughter."

some more on transubstantiation:Transubstantiation (in Latin, transsubstantiatio, in Greek #956;#949;#964;#959;#965;#963;#943;#969;#963;#953;#962; metousiosis) is, according to the teaching of the Catholic Church, the change by which the bread and the wine used in the sacrament of the Eucharist become, not merely as a sign or a figure, but also in actual reality the body and blood of Jesus Christ.[1][2] The Catholic Church teaches that the substance, or reality, of the bread is changed into that of the body of Christ and the substance of the wine into that of his blood,

ritual cannibalism, not much of a stones throw from here .....imho

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transubstantiation

Better than ritually eating human flesh and drinking human blood to be symbolically transformed into bread and wine.
where is your cynical, state / county segue spin ?

Let me take a crack at it. The relationship between county/state oppressor and victim might better be described on a vampire or zombie thread.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
county/state oppressor and victim

I believe the correct term is "co-dependent".
...everyone has skeletons in their ancestral closet...

...some might say - leftovers...

is that a reference to the movie "Parents"?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098068/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Ha - not directly although that movie probably counts as a skeleton in the closet for those involved and something likely to leave a back taste in your mouth.

Given the wide spread history of cannibalism, most cultures have had a seat at that table no matter how thin PT tries to slice the definition. Chew on that?

As a very young child forced to be brought up as a strict catholic, I still found so many things to be disturbing. Forget about confession, but Bullwinkle nailed it:

"[...] The Catholic Church teaches that the substance, or reality, of the bread is changed into that of the body of Christ and the substance of the wine into that of his blood"

In this case, it's a metaphor. A silly one, but that's what it is.

But I still haven't seen a decent justification of how ancient Hawaiians who ate body parts shouldn't be called cannibals.
Ditto, Tom. But Catholic doctrine insists that we really are literally eating the body of Christ. Theologians have been bickering about this for about a thousand years, including what portions of the body are present, or whether the entire body is in each wafer (sort of a Mini-Me Christ on a Cracker), how it is possible for Christ's body to be in so many places at once, etc. As a child with access to the "backstage" of our church, I boldly sampled unconsecrated Eucharist and found that it tasted exactly the same as what we were served at communion, much to my great relief. Having concluded that this doctrine was (probably) nonsense, I was able to receive the receive the Eucharist with relative peace of mind (No chewing, though! That's just wrong!). Thus began my long Fall from Grace. I'm not sure how devout Catholics handle this... either the Church is mistaken, or you are a cannibal. Take your pick.
As someone pointed out, anthropologists make distinctions on the types of cannibalism. For example, the Yanomami tribe consume some of the ashes or their dead as part of ritual. This is endocannibalism. I believe the Hawaiians may have practiced something similar, consuming a small part of the dead. A layperson may not make this distinction and consider all forms of cannibalism with the same repugnance.

From Wikipedia:
quote:
The Yanomami people practice ritual endocannibalism, in which they consume the bones of deceased kinsmen.[16] The body is wrapped in leaves and placed in the forest some distance from the shabono, then after insects have consumed the soft tissue (usually about 30 to 45 days), the bones are collected and cremated. The ashes are then mixed with a kind of soup made from bananas which is consumed by the entire community. The ashes may be preserved in a gourd and the ritual repeated annually until the ashes are gone. In daily conversation, no reference may be made to a dead person except on the annual "day of remembrance", when the ashes of the dead are consumed and people recall the lives of their deceased relatives. This tradition is meant to strengthen the Yanomami people and keep the spirit of that individual alive.