Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hilo Airport - highly rated by the BBC!
I've driven past the new air cargo facilities at ITO. The new facility is massive. The state over built it for large cargo jets, not 737QC's Aloha Air Cargo uses, or whatever FedEx uses. Hence, my previous comment regarding the facility being underutilized.

The state finally built something with an eye on the future !

As the east side continues to grow it will probably be needed.Just imagine if they had done that with highway 130 back when it was widened to add turn lanes.We went thru several years of hell to get what is there now.
Hence, my previous comment regarding the facility being underutilized.
The state finally built something with an eye on the future !

Yes and yes.
The new cargo facility was not built only to accommodate regular 747 service, there is also more space inside. The current buildings used by FedEx and Aloha Cargo require them to regularly leave loaded and empty containers outside of their buildings, sometimes in the rain as there is not always room available inside. You should see it when the bread shipments arrive, it can take up almost all of the floor space.

Fedex could also decide to route their 747 through Hilo again, as quickly as they stopped landing here a few years ago.

Have you seen the new airport fire station? It's gigantic. The state purchased all new fire equipment some of which is so tall it required a new, custom built facility. It's right behind the UPS station.

The state also spent a fortune cutting down mango and banyan trees near the NAS, for "safety reasons." The trees were not in line with any runway so how cutting them down makes airport operation safer is unknown.

There is also a new two story operations building going up next to Aloha Cargo. Then there are the miles of new perimeter fencing which have been installed, although there were no apparent problems with the existing fence. One section was added as an afterthought in front of an unused building with a small area protected from the rain, because some teenagers smoked cigarettes and left beer bottles there a couple of weekends in a row. Probably costing 10's of thousands of dollars in materials and labor.

Your tax money at work.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Hilo airport is my favorite airport. So laid back, no hurry, no worry. Hopefully, the future stays the same for a long time. Let the development go wild on the west side, let the east side slip into the mists of lotus-eaters.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

Let the development go wild on the west side, let the east side slip into the mists of lotus-eaters.

Another PT classic.
You a pilot too? I fly King Airs and Lear 35's in Alaska

AKpilot

quote:
Originally posted by flyingsurfer

Flying the approach to Rwy 8 into Hilo is No ka oi. Although flying into the old airport in Hong Kong was very exciting.

We're all here, because we're not all there!
AKpilot:

I'm a private pilot. I fly a Grumman AA1B.
In 1968 my dad took us to Hong Kong. He told me all about flying into Hong Kong. He was Navy. Flt engineer on Super Constellations.
Sweet!

SO Jelly! Where do you keep it, must be fun to fly with the "top down" on the islands! I used to go set $100 hamburgers with a friend in his Cheetah.

AKpilot

quote:

AKpilot:

I'm a private pilot. I fly a Grumman AA1B.
In 1968 my dad took us to Hong Kong. He told me all about flying into Hong Kong. He was Navy. Flt engineer on Super Constellations.

quote:

I have 16mm footage of the finale approach and landing of a Navy Super Constellation (VR8) taken from the plane by my Dad. 1956. Landing at Hilo.

Sounds like a fun prize possession.

I could go for a good Hawaii flying adventure story about now.
AKpilot:

Plane is still in CA. Need a hanger. To nice to tie down outside