Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for Live-In Baseyard Manager
opinions in the terms of employment

I'm still fascinated by the model: work-trade for a rent credit (that doesn't cover the rent) where the work seems to require an "all hours" presence.

The only comparable situation I know of is Kalani, but their deal includes both food and a designated volunteer shift -- there is time for sightseeing or errands or whatever.

Work-trade also makes for poor documentation, such that a dishonest person could "double-dip" public benefits on top. Perhaps this is why the applicant needs to be ethical.

I'm sure it's a great arrangement for the right person, but it sure doesn't make any sense to me. (Collorary: does not require explanation or justification, the "right person" already knows the deal and is fine with it.)

The longer it sets inside the wrong forum

...and here we are today.
The exposure in Punatalk has a better chance of getting this ad out, I rarely scroll down to "Classifieds"

With the job and housing problems in East Hawaii, I think this could be a good for someone, safe place to live, and the opportunity to pursue other endeavours!
Jeff Hale: Upon first read of topic posting, which was before any comments or replies were posted, my thought was: "Why is this classified ad in this forum? It's an ad and should be in the appropriate section, Free Non Classifieds, not here."

The only forum on PW that really gets traffic is this one, people post events, classifieds and lost and found pets in here all the time, otherwise they don't get seen. The mob action and moderator's response on the OP was not because it was in the wrong place.
Thanks to the good apples and your supportive comments. Because of you I can remember that there is much good that goes on here. Unfortunately there's always rude people who forget they're talking to other people, who forget decent manners, who let a sense of anonymity go to their head. I was going to ask Pog what the heck his problem with me is and then I decided I don't really care - Everyone is represented clearly enough here for who they really are if a person cares to go and read the trends in their posts. Pog is clearly represented in his comments, as am I. I have nothing to be ashamed of.

The reason this post ended up in the main frame is because I haven't been to the forum in so long, I quite forgot that there was a classified zone. Glad to see that plenty of word has gotten out about the subject though!

I really like the suggestion that perhaps users of the forum get the image in their head that we're all sitting around on Rob's lanai, and that the people you're talking to are actual people from your community, and Rob has the rather tedious job of shutting down the mouthy abusive types.

Finally, Kalakoa, I have put the job and the rental together because we have both the job and the rental and I'd like to see the person who takes the job, take the rental. I could say "We'll pay you X amount of dollars and rent is X amount of dollars, and we'll keep it all separate and tedious, and log you in and out for hours" etc., but I didn't do that, and that is my prerogative as the person hiring and renting. 2+2=4. So does 1+1+1+1. So does 3+1. Catch my drift? There are plenty of ways to get to the same point and none of them are necessarily wrong.

Melissa Fletcher
"Make yurts, not war" Bill Coperthwaite, 1973
To me, the growth and spirit of Punaweb came about when there was a lot of interest in coming to Hawaii, building an impractical dream, hearing about the successes and failures of others, offering some experience, advice and ideas for the next one coming along. As a newbie, it seemed also to have promise of an online community, but also a mirror to the possibilities of who was out there, and what common interests there may be when integrating to a new area.

Instead, there seems to be of late the cliques, either adoration or condemnation of others, solely based on who is posting and past clashes.

Rob, the moderator, has had a strong interest in the Puna Community Development Plan and the Puna Alternate road options. With these initiatives not as active as in past, I think it is with Rob's good graces that this forum continues. Others have said they have left because of the negative tone that the 'regulars' are providing. I would agree. It's not, for the most part and in my opinion, inviting, welcoming, interesting or encouraging to those trying to join in on the conversations.

Too bad, because I don't think there will be a good alternative in the Puna area if this site shuts down.

Someone should be allowed to put up an ad/expression of interest without the yahoos picking it all apart to hell. Just scroll on by if it's not to your liking. She didn't ask for clarification or improvement to her ad. If you are truly interested in the job, ask for clarification or negotiate a better deal.

It's not a question of being soft to criticism. It's play by Rob's rules or move on.
Hey Melissa. I love what you do and your mission. I think as others have mentioned, probably best in the future to post ads in the ads section.
Very well said Aki. I came to this forum for the Aloha. If I wanted a bunch of yahoos I'd go to a more "mainland" place.

The strange thing is, it seems the worst of the bunch actually live in Puna. Certainly not representative of the great people I've met there.
There are plenty of ways to get to the same point and none of them are necessarily wrong.

"Wrong" is too strong a sentiment, here.