Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to buy rosewater
Care to share ingredient list + technique ???

Happy Easter.

aloha,
pog
Pog,

The recipe I used is from a book by Kris Dhillon called "The New curry Secret". The recipe is in two parts; the basic curry sauce which is used for all subsequent curries, and then using the sauce with different ingredients to create all sorts of different British-Indian restaurant curry dishes, so it's not how to cook authentic Indian dishes, but the ones us Brits love!

I won't go through the whole recipe, but the curry sauce is made by frying 2.5 lbs of sliced onions, about 2oz of chopped ginger and another 2oz of chopped garlic then simmering in 3 pints of water which you then blend. Add a can of blended tomatoes, paprika, cumin and tomato paste. Skim off the fat and then put in the fridge or freezer. That's the base sauce of about 8 servings for any Indian curry recipe.

The actual dish involves marinated lamb. Cut the lamb into inch cubes and hammer them to make them tender. Marinade in yoghurt, chopped green chilies, chopped mint leaves, garlic and ginger. Then stir fry the lamb and when the liquid has evaporated, add in ground coriander, cumin and turmeric. Stir fry for a few seconds then add about a pint of the curry sauce. Cook until the sauce thickens then add paprika, some half-and-half cream and ground almonds. Simmer then add some garam masala, cook a little longer and towards the end add a little bit of rosewater. It's done then!

It's the first time I've used this recipe and it is very good!

I've cooked lamb pasanda similar to this in the past, so you might want to try it:

https://youtu.be/tuDo5zq3oOA

If you try the youtube recipe, I would recommend marinating the lamb first - 1 lb lamb, 3 tbsp plain yoghurt, 2 or 3 chopped green serrano chilies (use the seeds if you want it spicy) and 2 crushed and chopped garlic cloves. It makes a big difference. A tbsp of rosewater at the end really adds to the taste.

ETA: fixed a couple of typos.
Sweet .. Thanks Tom.

This would be a good side Punaweb topic, free of drama and agendas ... yeah ... if Rob allows ...

aloha,
pog
Oh, I forgot although mentioned it earlier in my post. Add a tbsp of chopped fresh mint leaves to the marinade.
"This would be a good side Punaweb topic, free of drama and agendas ... yeah ... if Rob allows ..."

You mean a new Punaweb forum for cooking, restaurants and recipes? I'd support that!
PS. A twist on going out for an Indian. Going out for an English:

https://youtu.be/huSP7PtctC4
I don't think I want to go out for an English. Yum, chicken boiled til it's grey and drained of all it's nutrients. Think I'll stick to fish and chips!
I would also love a forum for cooking, restaurants and recipies. Everybody loves to eat! Anybody interested in Greek food? My Yiya taught me!