Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damn TMT
Rocks(especially big ones) can help some build character and self balance, which I find hard to teach, not just walls.

Thank you gypsy. I believe you also answered my question about rocks and college admission forms.

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
if the protesters actually did something REAL to save the unique Hawaii, Id be on their side, but all I see them doing it stand there next to a bunch of invasive weeds they THINK are native plants... they seem to be more interested in chanting song, smoke pakalolo and drink american beers. If they would take a few minutes every day and pull some of the many invasive plants in the saddle area, and bring in native endemic keiki plants to plant they ACTUALLY would be doing something very REAL to save the unique Hawaiian environment ie the endemic flora and fauna not yet extinct.... not trying to protest a telescope on top of a pile of cider that has and will be slowly sinking in to the pacific ocean for last 1/2 million years and many more years to come.... aloha

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron S
The Akamai Workforce Intiative existed way before they even considered Mauna Kea for the Thirty Meter Telescope. The other astronomical facilties on Mauna Kea are participating in this program.
Yeah, this is being overinflated for TMT. It actually goes back to the 60's with the first observatory and Inouye backing making it happen.

The premise is that observatories on Mauna Kea would provide additional jobs and education to Hawaii island, to "elevate the people". The problem is none of that ever panned out. The reality is even for the few that follow the track provided by the observatories end up having to leave the island for their career.

The observatories have been very good at providing community presentations, just that most are up around Waimea area. This is called the Big Island for a reason, it is a 2 hour haul from Puna to Waimea, and just as much of a haul from Waimea to Puna for observatory presenters. This is with no traffic problems. They are doing it on their own time and their own dime. The tax based funding of observatories doesn't allow for direct funding of community relations.

Astronomy is dying as a career. Much like astrology became astronomy, astronomy is becoming astrophysics. The science and technology direction the state of Hawaii is taking in the schools is antiquated and backwards, much like the state's computer systems. It's what the people want, so that is what the people get.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Not once did my son or any of my other kids in school(pahoa) have someone from the observatories atop maunakea come to their school or class to share Anything.
That says a lot doesn't it.

Does it?
Don't teachers usually invite speakers to their classes to inform their students further on a subject they are studying at that point in the curriculum?
How many times did you ask your children's teacher to bring in an astronomer, or call one of the astronomy offices directly to request a speaker at Pahoa High School, gypsy?

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"I used to participate as a speaker in a program where some of us from the community were guest lecturers in high school classrooms."
Lecturing about what? Something useful I hope, not how to block any form of scientific progress using rocks.
Do any of gypsy69's posts pass the sniff test for trolling ?
I'm asking a question. Is that not allowed? Sorry!
dakine: Is PaulW's post anymore than "trolling" as defined on the wikipedia page

So what did you guest speak about?

Cheers,
Kirt
quote:
Originally posted by Obie

Do any of gypsy69's posts pass the sniff test for trolling ?

Yet folks keep responding... Sad

Cheers,
Kirt

Edit: frowny
the importance of math and science in their eduction and the consequences of not getting a diploma

Like ending up on EBT?

(Now that's a troll...)