Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motorist gets 30 days for killing pedestrian
Pretty sure you will pay a higher fine for pirating a movie... Sad!

Is there some historical context for this lax judiciary?
So, who do we let know about our unhappiness with this sentence, and our feelings about the competence of this judge? The Governor? The Mayor? Is there some kind of judicial conduct committee in Hawaii? I believe judges are appointed here, so there's no voting them out.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Just an additional note about the trial, the defendant was represented by a public defender. Can you imagine the sentence if he could have afforded a high priced attorney? (no offense to to hard working public defenders, but my understanding is they have a limited amount of time and resources to put toward each of their many cases)

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Start here perhaps...
http://www.courts.state.hi.us/courts/jud...al_conduct

..What would King Kamehameha do..
[quote]Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

Just an additional note about the trial, the defendant was represented by a public defender. Can you imagine the sentence if he could have afforded a high priced attorney? [quote]

All i know is if i ever mess up.. I want his PD.

quote:
Originally posted by birdmove

So, who do we let know about our unhappiness with this sentence, and our feelings about the competence of this judge? The Governor? The Mayor? Is there some kind of judicial conduct committee in Hawaii? I believe judges are appointed here, so there's no voting them out.

Jon in Keaau/HPP

If you ever do find the right resource to complain or sign a petition ..let us know
I will sign petition...
.. the kid should have at least got five years.. at least..

I'm pretty sure there is an old thread deep in the archives here that includes an explanation of the process for removal of state appointed judges and expressing concerns over sentencing. I just can't remember what the rest of the thread was about.
Drunk driving has always been difficult issue because drinking impairs judgement. Not all but many drunk persons "think" they are ok to drive or they don't make the decision to sleep it off in the car or wherever because while drunk they make lousy decisions. We know this from brain mapping research.

These are not people who set out to hurt anyone in any way and each case is different according to a friend who does DUI assessments for the courts. Repeat offenders of DUI are obviously different.
Why is this a surprise to anyone when here you can murder somebody with a shotgun and get out after 48 hours?