Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying a new bicycle
TomK - Mid-Pacific Wheels in Hilo is great. They don't sell junk bikes, they are nice, and they give you one free tune-up at like 3-months. (not sure on the timing of that)

We have bought 3 bikes here. One at Target (didn't charge us the reg'n fee), one at Walmart (charged us the fee) -- both bikes meh, one of which, ridden 12 miles a day, ok until the pedal arm snapped in half -- and the really good one at Mid-Pacific Wheels, which charged the fee. (I believe brand is Giant, a cruiser.)

I look at the fee like a cheap xtra tax. The county needs the money and I have no problem paying it. I just hated how it slowed the checkout line at Walmart.
Thank you Obie, Lodestone and DTisme, your suggestions are much appreciated.
I wanted an inexpensive hybrid type bike. I went to Wally's. Their floor model of the one I wanted was defective. They wanted to charge me shipping to have one brought into the store. I ended up buying the same bike from an eBay vendor. It was one of those drop-ship types where the seller passed the order on to another party, with no shipping charges on top of the asking price. It cost less than what they would have charged me at Wally's for the defective floor model with no shipping charges. I still have it. It still looks fairly new and works well. I am not an eBay fan. But, it was a very good deal for me.

Welcome to Puna, the land of the Vocal Lunatic Fringe.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
TomK...correction on the pricing of the Schwinn Sidewinder mountain bike I mentioned...it runs for $149.00 at Walmart. My husband has had his longer than I, and it's still performing well.

Good luck w/your search!
Thank you, mermaid!