Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Testing a warning system - delayed
Here are some comments from a previous thread on potential effects of North Korean nuke detonated near the islands:

http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23832&SearchTerms=Fallout

The Donner Party really wasn't that great of a party, was it?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I'm not talking about a direct strike on Hawaii, obviously, we all know what that would do, but the specific threat I was thinking of was a high-altitude electromagnetic pulse (HEMP). Depending on the altitude, size and the distance of such an explosion, the effects could be catastrophic to the electrical grid and other electronic equipment. Not sure I would want to be on a plane flying a few hundred miles from such an event either. Although the fuselage should act as a Faraday cage, I wouldn't want to be the one to test the idea...

Edited - typo
There are entirely too many dwellings in Puna that are poorly suited to keeping the fallout particulates at bay.

Fallout won't be an issue from a HEMP attack.
Yeah we know what the nuke would do.
That's why I was questioning the hydrogen bomb.
Ahh, so beware of the HEMP effect. For those of us not too dependent on HELCO it would just be secondary effects? Like mass power outages, people freaking out, long lines, and hoarding tp, gas, bottled water etc. hmm hemp eh?
Perhaps now would be a good time to make Faraday cages for the solar equipment.

Community begins with Aloha
As Tink hints at, a solar power system might also be vulnerable to an EMP. Basically, all electrical and electronic circuits have some vulnerability. The smaller they are the less vulnerable they tend to be (depending on exactly what components they contain). Essentially, the larger the circuit, the higher the induced current as it intercepts more of the EMP. Cell phones might survive for instance, not so sure about cell towers.

PS. "Like mass power outages, people freaking out, long lines, and hoarding tp, gas, bottled water etc."

An effective HEMP attack on Hawaii would mean you wouldn't have the ability to shop at regular stores or pump gas.