Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More from Tulsi: Net neutrality to be repealed
a gamer... But if all you do is read text you might pay less? ... watch Pluto tv like me. I'd have a mid rate?

That's more or less what we have now, gamers need a high speed plan, emailers a low speed plan.

Without net neutrality your ISP can effectively control your content. If Spectrum launches a HD streaming movie & tv service for $20, they could throttle (slow down) less expensive services like Netflix, HULU, etc so their video is the lowest quality watchable. They could block websites so if the net neutrality issue comes up again, you won't be able to click on pro net neutrality websites, and they could also block emails to those domains preventing you from communicating with them about the issue. It's not price you need to be worried about, it's content.

"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm." -James Madison, The Federalist Papers, 1787
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I watched the anchors on MSNBC this morning argue for net neutrality then provide the disclaimer "The owners of MSNBC Comcast is pro repeal."
Spectrum ... could throttle

Sadly, this is nowhere near hypothetical:

2005 - Madison River Communications was blocking VOIP services. The FCC put a stop to it.

2005 - Comcast was denying access to p2p services without notifying customers.

2005, AT&T suggested giving preferential treatment to some web giants in exchange for money.

2007-2009 - AT&T was blocking Skype and other VOIPs that might compete with their cell phone services.

2011 - MetroPCS tried to block all streaming except youtube -- they actually sued the FCC over this.

2011-2013, AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon were blocking access to Google Wallet because it competed with their payment service.

2012, Verizon was demanding google block tethering apps on android because it let owners avoid their $20 tethering fee -- despite guaranteeing they wouldn't do that as part of a winning bid on an airwaves auction.

2012, AT&T - tried to block access to FaceTime unless customers paid more money.

2013, Verizon literally stated that the only thing stopping them from favoring some content providers over other providers were the net neutrality rules in place.

2014, Verizon and Comcast throttled Netflix data and held those customers hostage to a huge bribe from Netflix.
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...ks-outrage

In a statement, Charter Communications, which owns Spectrum, an internet service provider on Hawaii Island, said the company has "no plans to change our practices."

Hawaiian Telcom said it does not "throttle or block internet traffic and has no paid prioritization practices. This will remain our practice."

But: the throttling/prioritization will happen before the traffic reaches our island... at the peering points used by Google/Facebook/Apple/Netflix...
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...rotections

Nice to see someone taking action, pity that it's useless unless/until "Hawaii-Net" has direct connections to Google, Facebook, Netflix, etc -- if that traffic is already throttled before it gets here, there's nothing we can do to fix it.
"Hawaii-Net"

The government created the Internet, it's fine with me if they take part part of it back. I'll take my chances on mainland throttling, sign me up as a charter subscriber.

"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm." -James Madison, The Federalist Papers, 1787
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Good news on net neutrality.
The US Senate voted today to overturn the FCC's decision against fair and equitable internet access.
It now goes to the House. If enough Republicans get on board, we could win this fight yet.