Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recycle, Or SB3099 Will Raise Bottle Depo
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

it's questionable whether recycling makes sense here

Diversion from the landfill makes sense. Local manufacturing based on reclaimed feedstock should make sense, but the economics are warped -- it should not be cheaper to ship recyclables to China.

waste to energy plants could be a better option

Don't forget, County couldn't even open a composting plant -- any location is either "next to someone's house", or "on sacred land", or on "land that you have to lease (thereby inflating the operating cost)".

Unfortunately Hawaii is at a dead end until this generation dies off..It seems a bit silly that kids are smarter than their parents/grandparents...

Okay Google... Who are these people and why ain't they working?
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

From an energy standpoint, it's questionable whether recycling makes sense here. The waste to energy plants could be a better option.
--------
Not for recyclables though. Regular garbage - yes. Oahu has a couple plants...

Plastic definitely burns well, as it's made from oil. The new, high heat plasma trash burners probably take care of glass too.

Sweden is a big proponent of this technology.

But who cares how other counties deal with their problems, right? [:p]
I'm afraid it may be true that Hawaii would somehow turn this method into a failure.
I used to do bottle returns at the Pahoa Transfer Station but now that the only game in town is across from the post office, I just recycle my bottles instead.