Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So... If you were going to buy a truck...
If you're not in a hurry you can sometimes get great deals on gently used automobiles at https://gsaauctions.gov/

The vehicles are usually on Oahu but when I bought one the auction house transported it to the barge company for $70. I setup the barge transportation at the Hilo office. Because you're buying from the federal gov't there is no GET or licensing fees, but since they have never been registered you do of course have to pay the registration fee, but you would be doing that at a renewal anyway. What you save on taxes etc practically pays for shipping it inter-island. The car I bought was 7 years old but only had 8000 miles on it, so I got 7 years of depreciation on a vehicle with only 6 months wear and tear. And, it had been garaged the whole time.

It pays to watch the auctions for awhile- I had been watching for over a year. Every now and then they have a ton of vehicles listed so there is more inventory than bidders. When I bought they had over 70 vehicles listed.

It's pretty much like bidding on eBay, except that every time a bid is placed it extends the auction for 2 (or so, I forget exactly) minutes. So you literally have to be at your computer at the closing time upping your bid, or risk proxy bidding jacking the price higher than it would have otherwise been.
I 2nd or 3rd or 4th or whatever the vote to buy a Toyota truck on the west coast of America and ship it to Hawaii.
quote:
Originally posted by ElysianWort

I 2nd or 3rd or 4th or whatever the vote to buy a Toyota truck on the west coast of America and ship it to Hawaii.

And consider having a kill switch installed before shipping.
Thanks all Smile
Or you could buy mine!

Remember...Aloha!
Remember...Aloha!