Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Security Screen Doors 4 Evacuation Shed PAIDINFULL
I had to leave early to foster a tripod lava dog, so thanks to HOPE Services for these images:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9fc9kwdb284s5...GoySa?dl=0

Looking good!

mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
For those with FB:
https://www.facebook.com/ikaika.marzo/vi...lVgecuVVgQ
Aloha Carey, it was great meeting you today at the Tin Shack. I am a lurker no more, look at me!

Mahalo to everyone who donated to the door campaign.

I told Mayor Kim that this was a great project but that we need to duplicate it several more times.
Aloha Aaron! Mahalo for coming out to assist others that are facing the loss of housing due to this disaster.

HOPE Service has plans for this village to house a total of 50 shelter sheds... and is working with other faith communities on island to try to utilize the currently available disaster resources to replicate this effort. Perhaps not on the scale of yesterday, even a few shelters adjacent to functioning community spaces would help ease the lack of housing that all of the evacuees are facing, as you are very well aware of...
& could assist the need for lower cost housing that has been in existence for years, down the road...
I have been at this site during the week and early on Saturday morning, and it was incredible! Here is just a sample of the community-building that I have seen by what I roughly saw as way more than a hundred volunteers:

The Hawaii State National guard unit was spectacular in doing a ton of the "ground work" to get these HPM fabricated shelter sheds up at such a fast pace & their "git#699;er done" spirit yesterday. County of Hawaii had many of their employees & council reps out assisting. There were workers and materials donated from professional construction companies including HPM Building Supply, Goodfellow Bros., Inc., Takamine Construction, Inc., Nan, Inc., The Home Depot (Hilo, HI), Lowe's Home Improvement (Kailua-Kona, HI), Big Island Electrical Service, Kimo Kahele Construction and many others

Union workers from the Carpenters Union Local 745 & IBEW 1260 and others

Community volunteer groups and donations from Habitat for Humanity Hawai'i Island Hilo ReStore, Hawaii Island United Way, Pu'uhonua o Puna, Punaweb Shed Team (& worked with Lowes to donate all security screen doors for all of the shelters) and sooo many more volunteers from groups & just ones who had to help.

All of this was done with the speed and vision because of HOPE Services Hawaii, Inc., that has been working on this project for years, the fast pace is in the "git #699;er done" part, but they had done a lot of the initial process years ago. One of the past county council reps. had even gotten some used shelters moved into that location, but they were not able to be salvaged, so HOPE Services was in the right place to fast-track these needed shelters.