Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Economy-related: HI, WORST state for educators.
As a result of this issue:

1) The best and smartest students in our High Schools here, are reluctant to go into education fields in college because it cannot compete with the pay of so many other careers.

2) The smart ones that do stay in education most often leave to other states for a more lucrative career.

3) The state is forced to recruit out of state. (Goods & bads there).

4) Our keiki fall short in education here and a cycle continues.

My son, who has a masters degree in education, looked into getting into subbing here. Figured he could come stay with us for a month or two at a time, and do substitute teaching. What a fuster cluck he got into trying to get that done. Oh well. He has a great job with a school district just north of Seattle. That district actually invests in education for the future. He makes an additional $10,000 for that masters degree too. I taught chess after school for a few tears at E. B. DaSilve elementary School in Hilo. That one is a fine local school. So, it can be done here.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
EW wrote:

"1) The best and smartest students in our High Schools here, are reluctant to go into education fields in college because it cannot compete with the pay of so many other careers.

2) The smart ones that do stay in education most often leave to other states for a more lucrative career.

3) The state is forced to recruit out of state. (Goods & bads there).

4) Our keiki fall short in education here and a cycle continues.
"

There are one or two minor issues with which I disagree, but on the whole, EW has hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately, it's a problem around the world, not just here in Hawaii.

If you're a talented student who wants to make money, education is the last career you want to choose. If you're talented and don't care so much about money, you continue your education and become a scientist or similar and follow a dream. If, on the other hand, you want to educate people, which I think is one of the most admirable jobs you can do, you end up in a career that will hardly ever pay you for the work you do and at the same time have to deal with administrators who chose option one.