Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HI air guard F-22 Raptors make stop in Hilo
Kelly was a visionary. What airframes he did inspire with just a good imagination and math.

HPP

HPP
Chief Inspector responsible for the SR71

That plane is a flying miracle. Your grandfather obviously went beyond his job description, every day, when working on the project.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by Punatic007
Of course they disagreed, some of us need a little extra time to grow up and get a reality check.

Some people will protest progress all the way to their grave. Sweep them aside like so much dust.

Speaking Truth to Lies / Facts to Ignorance
quote:
Originally posted by SBH

My grandfather was the Chief Inspector responsible for the SR71 and U2 spy planes in Lockheed’s Skunk Works from 1943 to the 70’s. Kelly Johnson's right hand man.

A brain-trust and more, much more.

Speaking Truth to Lies / Facts to Ignorance
We could soon see the next generation SR-72 Hypersonic in our skies.

“A Lockheed Martin executive hinted at a recent aerospace conference that the SR-72, the hypersonic successor to the SR-71 Blackbird, may already exist, according to Bloomberg.

Jack O'Banion, a vice president at Lockheed's Skunk Works, made mysterious comments about the ultra-secret project at the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics' annual SciTech Forum.”

https://www.businessinsider.com/sr-72-lo...ist-2018-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFXh8G9HsrE
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

Chief Inspector responsible for the SR71

That plane is a flying miracle. Your grandfather obviously went beyond his job description, every day, when working on the project.

You must be very proud of him. I saw some of my fathers work on the raptors, he headed the team developing the first laser gyro missile guidance system.
Yes we are very proud of him. My dad just stayed a week with us here in Puna a couple of weeks ago and we talked about grandad and his career and how he had to spend so much time away from the family. My grandmother rarely knew where he was or when he would come home. Most of his time was spent out in the Nevada desert while the family was living in Burbank and Glendale, Ca.

My dad said a couple of weeks ago that when he did come home he didn’t hang up that Chief Inspector hat and was super critical of everything he and his siblings where doing and was always telling them the right way to do everything. He was a perfectionist and always told his kids to never say “can’t”. That was the first time I had heard that from my Dad.
I'm sorry your family was away from him so much, you can always remember it's great minds like your grandfather and his sacrifices that has kept millions of Americans safe. Let's not forget that WW2 occurred in recent history, a strong military is imperative.
SBH,
This might be before your grandfather started work at Lockheed, but back in the 1920's the company might have helped develop a completely new design concept for surf boards. It's interesting that science was seen as a boon by all surfers, even Native Hawaiian surfers preferred the light boards to the traditional unwieldy, heavy, solid wood long boards:

To fully understand the impact aerospace had on surfing, you have to go back to 1928, to the Pacific Coast Surf Board Championship in Corona del Mar. This event is legendary among surf historians because it was there that renowned waterman Tom Blake (and Waikiki regular) won the paddling race by drilling hundreds of holes into his redwood board and covering them up with a thin veneer.

Also in that competition was Gerard Vultee, whose day job was designing aircraft at Lockheed. The prior year, Vultee had worked on the Lockheed Vega, the plane Amelia Earhart would later use to fly first across the Atlantic and then across the United States. The Vega’s wing was hollow, with plywood covering wooden struts. We don’t know exactly what the watermen discussed on the sand of Corona del Mar that day, but there was Blake, who was trying to figure out how to make a lighter surfboard, and there was Vultee, who had just designed a lighter aircraft wing.

https://www.kcet.org/shows/lost-la/how-s...ze-surfing

"The great mystery is that such a state may be one of utter happiness, as it provides opinions concerning things, but no knowledge of the things themselves.” - Marguerite Young
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
^^^ Light weight, construction was preceded by about 4000 years by Skin On Frame Kayaks. ^^^

SBH IMO, he had one of the coolest jobs of the century. Amazing all these guys.