Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why no access for those isolated by flow?
"You wanted to go home? Sorry, not our kuleana. Also, here's your property tax assessment."
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/news/peles-path/

This is what Harry has to say in the documentary:

To him, like so many others in Puna, living on Kilauea’s doorstep was an “acceptable risk.” A risk worth the dividends: Worth the enjoyment of however many years Madame Pele allows you to stay.

“Who would not fall in love with that place?” he said. “People built their dream homes there. And people from the outside looking in say, Why did you allow that?”

Why?

“Because the law allowed it,” Kim said.

Because pre-statehood land barons were allowed to snap up vast swaths of property, and promise people near and far their own little slice of paradise – at a price point they could manage.
“Because the law allowed it,” Kim said.

Because land barons demanded it.
Because politicians approved it.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
To him, like so many others in Puna, living on Kilauea's doorstep was an "acceptable risk"

At his sole discretion. Nobody else is allowed to accept the risk anymore.
"Because politicians approved it."

Powerful democratic politicians

"Red hot lava threatening Puna’s Royal Gardens subdivision opens yet another chapter in a long-running saga. A hui of elected officials and state and county engineers in 1961 bought the 1,807 acre site from the Bishop Estate (Kamehameha Schools) for $200,000 after easily obtaining preliminary approval to subdivide from the Hawaii County Planning Commission."

“Investor Arthur Ishimoto was in 1983 state director of civil defense. Engineering consultant Yoshio Inaba had approved Royal Gardens’ creation as county engineer. As county engineer he also had some responsibility for Big Island civil defense plans and operations. One of Royal Gardens’ lawyers, George Ariyoshi, was the state’s chief executive when the volcano erupted (in 1983). The son of two other investors, the Matayoshis, was the Big Island’s chief executive in 1983.”

Other limited partners included judges, senators and representatives, Hawaii county supervisors (council members), a future Hawaii county mayor, and state and county engineering personnel.

"Says it all, right there. Almost exactly like the RUC project: designed to capture Federal grant money, "gather information" and "let people know"."

Then give the money to Rob Tucker. Punaweb has already served this purpose.
My next door neighbor got a permit back in 5 days for a new build in HPP.

Proof that the County can expedite the process ... when it suits them.
A friend of mine is trying to build a home in Waianae on Oahu and paid $6k to “expedite” a building permit a year ago and is still waiting.
Here's a thought: if highway 132 is "restored" by digging down to its original elevation, wouldn't this create a "valley" which guarantees the highway will be destroyed by a future flow?

Not to mention making driveways difficult/impossible...
As I understand it, a septic system is designed by an engineer and inspected by the engineer for compliance. A report is then sent to the Health Dept. No government involvement except recording the information.
Why cannot building be done the same way? An licensed engineer reviews and certifies my plans (as they do now anyway)their agent could inspect the work and certify it. Why does the County need to be involved on such a intimate level? Engineers carry outrageous liability insurance, so liability is not really the issue. It's not like the County is responsible for anything done wrong now anyway.
The Building Department should be reduced to a recording agency.
So much of the Code appears to be suspiciously profit driven by industry agents. Like termite treatment required on steel buildings for example, guaranteed for two years on a building with an 80 year life span, or Simpson Manufacturing Company, and all that required steel. Everyone gets to "wet their beak". Then comes the hand wringing about the high cost of housing.
Of course it is not just building codes, every regulatory body appears to be infested with revolving door industry personnel. EPA, USDA, FDA, WTF!