Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Imiloa is wonderful
Whoa have fun everyone! This is a really special place if you haven't had the opportunity to visit!

mella l

mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
O.K. Slow on the uptake here. What is the location?

Dan
'Imiloa is on the west side of the UH-- Hilo campus
take Komohana to Nowelo (where the Astronomy observatory offices are for CalTech, NASA, Gemini, Subaru, CFH & UHH) go makai (east) to the 'Imiloa campus (building with the shiny titanium cones) (ETA: if you end up going mauka, you will pass the Ag & Pacific Island parks buildings, turn around & go back down! you will also pass the new Pharmacy campus as you go to 'Imiloa)

Great place to visit on a rainy day in Hilo! (ETA - The observatories offices usually welcome visits & have info on their work in their lobbies)
Thanks Carey
Here's the 'Imiloa website:

http://www.imiloahawaii.org/index.php

It's got info on their latest daytime show (Origins of Life), as well as info on their newest Friday night laser/music shows (Laser Beatles & Laser Zeppelin).

Click on "About" for their regular hours (...they're closed Mondays), click on "Planetarium" for the current show schedule (...there are three different shows), and click on "Cafe" for a look at the Sky Garden's breakfast, lunch, and dinner menu (...they've got a pretty nice $20.00 buffet on Friday nights as well).

Ohhh, and when you go ...take a sweatshirt ...it always seems to be freezing up there "in Space!"

The membership packages are well worth the investment.
I have bought a family pass to Imiloa for the past two years. Me and my children go often. They never get tired of watching the shows and doing all of the activities inside. If you haven't been there yet, please go, it is a great place.

Donna
Donna
I adore 'Imiloa and have been a member there since they opened....despite living several thousand miles away! I have visited only twice, but I love the way they promote both science and Hawaiian culture.

At my most recent membership renewal, I was given two complimentary tickets to the Center. "Each ticket is good for a free visit to our Exhibit Hall and one Planetarium show offered during regular business hours. These tickets have no expiration date and you are free to share them with a friend or family member. They do not have to accompany you on their visit and all they need to do is exchange the ticket for whatever show they would like to see."

I will happily mail them off to the first Punaweber to express their interest.
I would be very greatful if those tickets were sent my way!-Monique
Sure thing! Email me your address through my profile.