Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here)
Until a June, 2018 SCOTUS ruling, public employees could be forced in many states to pay union dues whether they wanted to or not. Hawaii was one of those states. I haven't been able to find any reliable reporting on how many, if any, Hawaii public employees took advantage of this to drop out. Up to that point if one wanted to teach in Hawaii, one had to join the union. Here's the link:

https://apnews.com/article/0f83c64b1dd24...b85235790a

Getting back on topic, the latest snag in the Hawaii Covid-19 vaccination effort is people failing to schedule or show up for their second shots. It seems that the state is holding back vaccine for those second shots that people aren't getting:

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/02/11...ures-show/
It makes little sense not to get both doses. If people in Hawaii intend to fly anywhere in the near future and want to save hundreds of dollars in covid test fees they should stay with the program and get both shots. The CDC came out today saying no quarantine will be needed for "fully" vaccinated people.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/02/1...jxp8hUPhio
CDC came out today saying no quarantine will be needed for "fully" vaccinated

Until Ige gets around to following CDC guidance, all the Safe Travels bs continues to apply.

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/biden-...s-by-july/

Everyone can be vaccinated, reopen tourism, everything back to normal...
"Without the union there would be no education in Hawaii. The teacher's union is the only thing that keeps teachers from being treated like slaves."

It's the taxpayers that are being treated like slaves to the unions. Teachers are free to teach, or not teach, work somewhere else, or not at all. Freedom. But don't pay your taxes, depending on the situation, can result in criminal proceedings and incarceration: Prison.

The education system in Hawaii is so bad that about half the parents I know are either homeschooling or paying for private education. But still paying into the teacher's union system anyway through involuntary taxes. These people work for their money. Having the value of your labor stolen from you is literally the definition of slavery.

I understand that being a teacher in Hawaii sucks, but don't play the "slavery" card to promote the unions. The (more) functional educational systems that co-exist in the state without unions negates the entire argument.
It's the taxpayers that are being treated like slaves...

The state & county considered having taxpayers march up Mauna Kea and chip away rock in the adze quarry, haul sandlewood down the mountain, the heavy logs balanced on our backs, or pay taxes for services we don’t personally use.  They settled on the latter.
(02-11-2021, 07:25 PM)kalakoa Wrote: If they really want to teach, why did they join the union?

They got the “ offer they couldn’t refuse “.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
I opened the Hawaii state COVID app this evening just to see what it was doing. It told me that I haven't been exposed in the last 14 days, but also told me the last update was 12 days ago.
(02-16-2021, 09:41 AM)TomK Wrote: I opened the Hawaii state COVID app this evening just to see what it was doing. It told me that I haven't been exposed in the last 14 days, but also told me the last update was 12 days ago.

My app says "Last 14 days, updated a few seconds ago". Perhaps your phone is not allowing background apps/data?
It updated itself after I had the app open for a few minutes trying to figure out a way to get things updated. It doesn't fill me with confidence that it will automatically warn me if I'm exposed unless I open it every time I leave my house and wait for it to update. Other apps I own like this update themselves, so not sure what is wrong, but will look at my settings.

PS I just opened it now and it told me that it had updated 15 minutes ago, so I guess it's working now. I haven't changed any settings.