Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kaleo's In Orchidland
Funny thing, people hate "corporate", yet they're usually open when they say they will be, so that's where I usually go -- I would rather support a local business, but if they can't be bothered, there's nothing I can do about that.

Related: lots of reasons to hate vacation rentals, but if they're propping up the economy, we also get to enjoy the nice things. Every plan I've seen to "manage" STVRs doesn't account for these side effects.
Iʻll take local and erratic over corporate. Life happens. Their hours are posted on Facebook. You donʻt have to be a member.

"Aloha. Kaleo's in Pahoa is closed for lunch and dinner due to the weather and power outages. Sorry for any inconveniences.
However, Kaleo's in Orchidland will be open at 2pm today. Please be safe out there and be prepared."

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/...539783584/
Certainty will be the death of us.
I've been to OLE Kaleo's twice now, happy hours on a Sunday and on a Thursday. Both times had lots of cheerful people, but the staff was being run ragged. I had a chance to (quickly) ask our waitress about how she found working in the new location, and she said that while she enjoyed it and tips were very good, they were still short-staffed. If anyone is looking for a part time job, there are possibilities.
"Funny thing, people hate "corporate", yet they're usually open when they say they will be, so that's where I usually go"

They were closed for about 4 days last month because some patrons vandalized the place.

They aren't open yet. They are doing a trial.
They aren't open yet.

Obviously. I give them credit for trying, though, especially with the roads there.
Bad. OK Kaleo’s in Pahoa has always been hit or miss (miss being glass in food at times), but OL location a medium burger came as steak tartar and buns were burnt. Terrible. Like Kaleos in Pahoa, we hope for a better day, but one out of one is not hopeful…
Found a phone number for Kaleos O and called late afternoon today (3 to 3:30 Sunday) for a to-go order. Got an answering machine several times, saying they weren't available and you couldn't leave a reservation request or order on their voicemail. Understandably, however, this was during their supposed "open" hours. I tried over a half hour time period and gave up. Perhaps they are all too busy and understaffed? Not good, but we'll try again eventually no doubt.
I had that happen too.  It is my understnding that they close the front end for an hour between the lunch and dinner shifts.

Its called Hawaii time.
(12-13-2021, 02:58 AM)Kiana Wrote: Found a phone number for Kaleos O and called late afternoon today (3 to 3:30 Sunday) for a to-go order. Got an answering machine several times, saying they weren't available and you couldn't leave a reservation request or order on their voicemail. Understandably, however, this was during their supposed "open" hours. I tried over a half hour time period and gave up. Perhaps they are all too busy and understaffed? Not good, but we'll try again eventually no doubt.

That happens when they are overwhelmed and it means you might not want to call at 3:30 on Sunday.

There are very understaffed. No one wants to work.
Iʻ guessing thatʻs why they havenʻt opened yet. Better to get the kinks out now. Theyʻre starting off at full speed. Most restaurants only slowly build up a clientele. Puna folks are already hungry for more (so to speak). Iʻll wait until they tell us theyʻre ready.
Certainty will be the death of us.