Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NE1 know the link for the safe travels website?
(05-11-2021, 09:57 PM)kalianna Wrote: If you are vaccinated, today begins inter-island travel without the need for quarantine or covid tests.  Good luck to you.  Unfortunate that you have to go through this travel hassle on top of your medical worries.  I hope you'll share your story once you have returned.
Thank you Kalianna.

We ARE vaccinated, and we could not complete the process in the Safe Travels website without a return flight. Yes, it's a bit more stress that we don't need on top of everything else, that is for sure. Thank you for caring!

So with that, does anyone know when it is that you show your medical papers for the "medical exemption" that Kalakoa mentioned previously? Is it when you go through TSA in Honolulu upon return, or when you land back in Hilo and try to get out and go home? I'm staring to lol now. :-)

My posts are crossing, sorry.

Macuu22: "We're both registered without a flight number. We're in the system. We just can't upload the vaccination cards until we book a flight or they change the rules."

Yes, I misspoke. We were able to register accounts with Safe Travels, but, we were not able to upload any documents without a round trip flight. Could not even do my Driver's License etc. and certainly not any of the needed Vaccine card stuff.

And Kalakoa, I could not find any detailed information about the medical exemption on that website you provided. It's truly a pain...all of this.
As noted above: all the "official" documentation claims there are no restrictions when flying "to Oahu". Maybe Ige's 20th Proclamation changed that.

In theory, the medical paperwork would be shown at the return checkpoint, because medical travelers are supposed to be quarantine-exempt.

There's no information, just a button to click for "medical/essential" exemption, fill out the form, get an answer in 5 days unless it goes in the spam trap.

"Truly a pain" is an understatement... we will be stuck with this until at least December 5, 2022...
I came from the mainland through Honolulu to Hilo a few days ago. I did sorta get a "Safe Travels" account set up with zero uploads. When I got to Hilo I showed them my vaccination card and an email from CVS of negative test. I passed through.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
(05-11-2021, 08:43 PM)Kiana Wrote: We fly one way to Honolulu next week for surgery. We couldn't complete the Safe Travels registration because we did not have a return flight. Since we don't know when we will be checked out of the hospital, our flight can't be booked yet. Frustrating! Grrrrr to red tape.
Make up a return flight. Doesn’t matter if you’re actually traveling on it or not.
"Make up a return flight. Doesn’t matter if you’re actually traveling on it or not."

Thanks Durian Fiend. Now there's an idea. I'll try it and see what happens. We were given a "probably" discharge date provided the surgery goes well. So, I'll use that and see what flights are running that day.

BTW, the Medical Exemption option discussed earlier does require that online form submission that takes five days, and, you also need a return flight. I would think many don't know their discharge date ahead of surgery in Honolulu.....
I struggle with this too. I uploaded my vaccine card, have surgury on the 17th return flight on the 19th. Got no answer after uploading but now I read on their site that they only accept a PDF copy, not a jpg which is what I uploaded. So I converted the jpg to a pdf file and have uploaded it. I will be on oahu for pre-op testing on Saturday since surgery is on Monday. I'll be in a wheelchair coming back. They only give me one night in the hospital, then I'm supposed to wait 24 hours before returning so staying at an airport hotel the night before travel. And the airport hotels, 0.5 miles from the airport have stopped free rides to the airport "due to covid" so will have to get a taxi at 5AM for my 7AM flight. Going solo. Have to fill out the other health questionnaire only can do that 24 hours ahead, don't know if I'll be in shape to try to do that. I'm challenged digital wise at 79. Only have a cell phone for 911. Why is this so complicated and unfriendly, only those in charge know.
Only have a cell phone for 911.

"They" do seem to assume that everyone will have enough smartphone to fill out the online forms.

Why is this so complicated and unfriendly

Easy: job creation. Disaster recovery is like our third-largest industry.
After reading all this, we’ve decided to wait. I thought Josh would be getting the job done, but I guess not.

It’s funny, the news (KGMB) had a story on about it last night making it sound like it was so smooth and easy.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
(05-12-2021, 01:37 AM)Rob Tucker Wrote: I came from the mainland through Honolulu to Hilo a few days ago. I did sorta get a "Safe Travels" account set up with zero uploads. When I got to Hilo I showed them my vaccination card and an email from CVS of negative test. I passed through.

Did they take a digital copy of the vaccination card or the email of the negative test?
(05-13-2021, 11:36 PM)SSGSurf Wrote: Did they take a digital copy of the vaccination card or the email of the negative test?

No, they did not.