Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Depot - the exception.What is the rule?
Thank you,Daniel and Carey.
I was thinking about shipping stuff in the boxes,but I it would cost a couple thousands too?I remember Carey mentioned something like 16-17 hundred (BC prices)?
And where do I ship them ?I don't even have the address.I don't want to bother anyone.
We shipped 81 boxes (mostly double wall Dell big CRT boxes, with a handfull fo Priority one rate boxes -PO pickup at your house if you have priority shipping- for heavy things like silverware & tools...) Shipping was in the 9 hundred range total for all... less than $15/ box... but now it would in the $18 per box range for those big boxes... we did ship one piece of 'furniture', the wooden sewing cabinet for my machine.... and we only had one box with damamge (this one got closed before it was packed properly....many things to do & not enough brain cells can happen...) & even sent over a few things accidently (we accidently shipped a "to be donated" box here....). Be forwarned, the parcel post (and media) boxes get rough treatment, so pack with that in mind (we limited how many breakable things we shipped.... but did ship a few...)

Oh, we didn't have a place, shipped to "General Delivery, Hilo HI 96720" since we figured we would get into Hilo often enough, as I was registered at UH-H.... With a lead time on the parcel post of 4-6 weeks, it gave us time to find something.... & then get our stuff... Do not know how to ship a container if you do not have an address, but think it must be possible, since you would still have lead time before it reached Hilo port to find a place... if nothing else a self store place for interim if you haven't found your 'nest' when the container arrives...

We also shipped some lighter & must haves in our luggage, which was shipping boxes that were 21x21x20, all near 50# (max size allowed by our air carrier was 62... of course that was in the free 2 luggage days, but even today the price is worth it for the must haves...)

Everyone comes into this with their own values, dreams & realities... no decision you make will be right or wrong.... there are times we 'wish we had brought' & times friends of ours have said they 'wish they hadn't shipped' something. It is all part of the adventure...
But never ever should you feel bad about the decision you make, or should anyone berate you for your decision.... there is no perfect answer for everyone... If you have fairly new things, or must have things, or things you hold near & dear, definately ship them. If you need a container, that is how most things you can buy here got here. no biggie...

OH... always make an inventory of what you are shipping & keep it with you (this may seem like a no-brainer, but darling hubby sealed it into one of the slow boat boxes....)
Thank you,Carey!
May be you are yourself that magic spirit of aloha ?
Don't go away,I'll try to be better..
I am very touched by your everlasting desire to help..