Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog Fighting
I've lived in Hawaii for over 40 years now and am married to a part Hawaiian lady. Between her family and friends, many were chicken fighters, but none are now. I think the last criminalization of the acts has taken most of the enjoyment out of it. But during the whole period I never saw nor could verify any incidents of dog fighting. The pitbull used for hunting gets pretty messed up at times from pig damage, but real cruelty as in fighting dogs, it's rare!

Down south and east coast is where you get that kind of crap. Like Mr Vicks. But you can't blame or look down on any group, Hell cannibilism is illegal too, but there's Jeffry Dahmer, and just recently in London, a stabbing and cooking of the victims leg. Terrib le things happen, but you needn't dwell on it.
Gordon J Tilley
I've lived in Hawaii for over 40 years now and am married to a part Hawaiian lady. Between her family and friends, many were chicken fighters, but none are now. I think the last criminalization of the acts has taken most of the enjoyment out of it. But during the whole period I never saw nor could verify any incidents of dog fighting. The pitbull used for hunting gets pretty messed up at times from pig damage, but real cruelty as in fighting dogs, it's rare!

Down south and east coast is where you get that kind of crap. Like Mr Vicks. But you can't blame or look down on any group, Hell cannibilism is illegal too, but there's Jeffry Dahmer, and just recently in London, a stabbing and cooking of the victims leg. Terrible things happen, but you needn't dwell on it.
Gordon J Tilley
Aloha,
I live in Fern Acres, and part of the Neighborhood Watch. Also, I am very active in an animal spay/neuter orgainzation called Hui Pono Holoholona. If any dog fighting is going on here in this subdivision, or at the boundaries, please let our Neighborhood Capt know about it. His number is 968-7020.
I am also asking that you attend our Neighborhood Monthly meetings which is held on the last Monday of the Month. We have a police officer attending most of the times, and would very much like to know also, about such animal abuse.
Were you aware that there is now a Federal and State law protecting Animals against such abuse? Its now a class C felony. Its slow getting off to getting after such abuser, but with ongoing budget cuts, the government is looking for new sources of monies. So just possibly, its finally going to be a win-win for the animals. Recently, after an Oahu cockfighting event, the state is considering confiscating the property that the cockfighting was held on.
Tomorrow (10/11) HPH (Hui Pono Holoholona) is having a yard sale at the Keaau Villiage Market Place (across from Ace Hardware. If you have stuff to donate or want to buy stuff, come visit us from 830 to 200pm. All monies goes into our spay/neuter fund, which helps pay for the surgery cost for those who can not afford it. HPH is dedicated in decreasing animal overpopulation humanely, by making available free or low cost spay/neuter for dogs and cats. Also it will decrease the horrifically high euthanasia numbers at HIHS. Visit our website: www.hphhawaii.org lots of interesting things, including the newsletter called the Punahele, meaning favorite or pet.
It's no paradise for dogs and cats here on this island! Did you know that at HIHS Keaau shelter for June of 07, One month - 201 dogs and 406 cats were euthanized!!! Did you know, that their is no holding time for cats. Did you know that your county tax dollars is being funded to HIHS, somewhere around 3 million? HIHS 2007 - Intake 14,600, Redeem 974, Adopted 2,587, Animals Euthanized 10,922. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Hui Pono Holoholona is a new animal organization (501 c3, tax deductable for your donations)that needs all your support. We can (united) make a difference for the animals, and from that so do we benefit.

Protect Animals Rights:Kindness, Love & Respect
Protect Animals Rights:Kindness, Love & Respect
Sounds to me like a bubbling racist inferno of opinion that locals fight dogs. I've heard about such things back in the "civil mainland". Recent headlines involving a football player. Please don't bring your racist rant over here, show me one case of a dogfight in hawaii. Yeah chickenfights were common but are dying out with the new felony tags.

Tell you what, those roosters they fought lived pretty good compared to the dog race stocks of your home states. Not to mention horse racing (killed for a broken leg).

The problem isn't your despite for such acts, it's the obvious slur you give to the local populace who you assume are the perps, because some nitwit chick heard things she "thought" was a dogfight. I suppose you figure all football players are into the same thing, especially
since there was a proven player in the activity. Show me one local fitht that was proven
Gordon J Tilley
Is it illegal to eat dogs? I thought it was illegal to kill them inhumanely but that if they were killed humanely (didn't notice any specifics on the differences) then it was okay to eat them. That was from that Maui case awhile back. Hawaiians kept dogs to eat, that's why they had poi dogs. They were probably nice to them before they ate them, too. No reason why you can't be nice to an animal, name it and be kind to it and then eat it. Generally you know from the beginning that the animal will be eaten, though, and sometimes they end up with names like "noodle" or "soup".

I would suspect the gambling aspect of the whole cockfighting/dog fighting whatever fighting is going on is more important than the actual fighting. Too bad we can't switch them over to centipede fighting.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson