Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving a house (if lava comes)- Urban legend?
The only place I saw houses "stored" was alongside the highway. I think the reason was they had no land to go to. I don't know about any state law forbidding people from living on recently covered land, and you don't necessarily need any public services or utilities to live in Puna, but lava cannot be lived on for several years because of residual heat.
quote:
Originally posted by Carey

I am pretty sure that the state would not be footing the bill for the land, by offering public places for people to move their houses onto AND live for a decade or so.... (I can imagine there would be huge liability for the state to do so, including providing public services for all of the structures, along with the improbability of moving some OFF of the land after that length of time... )

Depends... I know a few families that the State was required to give them land after they lost their property down Kalapana.

Damon Tucker's Weblog
Thank you,everyone again.
I also would like to know why it takes the whole 10 years to start to build again (even it's only "pipes to connect").

I don't see county evicting the rightful owners with their "moved back" houses because it's not 10 years yet...
Damon, not sure from your pointer to your blog, but were those HHL lands that the state exchanged??? If so, that would not be the case for fee simple land owners...
I bought a house that had been moved to 19th from Waianuenue in 1995. The guy had another house moved and the movers dropped it on the wrong lot where it was finished/finaled. So he had to buy the second house to move to the lot he actually owned (and buy the other lot!)
This response is not totally on spot but it may be of interest to people here. This is a 110+ year old, 3-story unreinforced masonry building across the street from me.

http://cityweekly.blogspot.com/2008/10/o...-move.html

Blakeyboy1
While not necessarily related to moving a home, finding a replacement for one destroyed by lava can take quite some time.

Some Native Hawaiian families from Kalapana had to wait for more than 15 years to move into the Kikala-Keokea subdivision on Highway 137. The S/D was eventually built by DLNR to provide homes from those displaced from the Kalapana Extension, which was designated for homesites and fishing rights by a 1938 law resulting from the expansion of HawaiƔi Volcanoes National Park.

quote:
Originally posted by Kapohocat

I bought a house that had been moved to 19th from Waianuenue in 1995. The guy had another house moved and the movers dropped it on the wrong lot where it was finished/finaled. So he had to buy the second house to move to the lot he actually owned (and buy the other lot!)

May be the guy just wanted that lot and was making sure no one gets it ,so he dropped the ball house?[Big Grin]