Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need anything from the mainland?
Getting a vehicle into/out of a container isn't that difficult - tilt bed tow truck is one way. There may be no apparent cost saving shipping vehicle in your container. Also no savings if you own the container - shipping costs are same whether it's your own or a company container.
We moved from Atlanta area 2005 and shipped a 20 ft that we bought and later a 40ft Horizon container. About the only difference in procedure was paying for the sea worthy inspection when we bought it and arranging that the chassis was available for both delivery and subsequent transport to Horizon departure point - no big deal. As I recall we had approx same number of loading days for both. On this end, once Conen placed the 20ft on the ground they left with the chassis as opposed to having 4 or 5 days to unload the 40 ft before they returned to pick it up.

Conen's can definitely lift a loaded container from chassis with a large forklift and place on ground - we did it also. Do check with them as there is a weight limit the forklift can handle. There is an extra charge for this. Consider if they will be able to place it just for unloading or if it will have to be moved again.
If you intend to keep the container, then unless it is on a chassis, to be legal, it has to be permitted - yep, drawings, architect, county fees, permit, inspection - the whole nine yards. Of course, this could prove beneficial. This means either this needs to be accomplished and ready for your container when delivered or it will have to be moved again. We had to move ours again, but did so empty with a very large front end loader w/ lift chains capable of the job. Of course the other option is not to be legal.
Hope this helps.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
Ben's Towing in Kurtistown has a crane to move full containers. It's insanely accurate & they can set it down gentle as can be. The other great thing about cranes is they can pick it up a few inches, repeatedly, so you can shim the corners & get it level. Definitely take the time to get it level if it's going to be in place for a long time! I didn't bother to level my first container & it takes 2 strong people to shut the doors. Containers flex & when they aren't level, you're basically trying to shove a rectangular door into a trapezoidal opening - not fun & it's hard on the door hinges.

* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *
* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *