Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miloli'i
To expand on Andrew's point a little bit.
You will not be or feel welcome every place you go on the island.
Some places are better to avoid all together. Some during weekends, etc.
Quite honestly, many of the places I have not felt welcome I have not been impressed with or had a need to go back to.
Kehena is one of those places for me.
I wont go on to say where these places are cause well you almost need to go there and get that vibe to understand whether it is right for you.
It really is no different from anyplace else. I didn't feel welcome in areas of Florida primarily because my wife was not white. So be it.
Milolii, South Kona, Kau are remote areas with consideration to convenience. Even thought they are only 30/45 min. from Kona on the map you will find yourself on the road longer in most cases. If you are planning to commute to a job or office in Hilo or Kona you will find the one to lane winding "highway" will become tedious.
Don't get me wrong, I'd move to Kau before I moved back to the mainland it's just a matter of what you are looking for.
I prefer rainforest and cooler elevations above 1000 feet.

"Puna Gnome for President"
I drove into Miloli last week for the first time, and got stink eye from some folks on the road. The place was desolate and depressing. I guess I feel sorry for the folks that have been there a long time and are dealing with all these new people and houses they don't want, and since it's not jungly, you can see everything. Weirdest place I've been to on the BI. As for their or anywhere vs. Puna, Puna is closer to so much more in terms of infrastructure, businesses, etc. Hopefully it won't get hugely built up in 20 years. It will be up to residents to keep too many chain stores out, but they are probably going to Hilo and Kona before Puna.

quote:
To expand on Andrew's point a little bit.
You will not be or feel welcome every place you go on the island.
Some places are better to avoid all together. Some during weekends, etc.
Quite honestly, many of the places I have not felt welcome I have not been impressed with or had a need to go back to.
Kehena is one of those places for me.
I wont go on to say where these places are cause well you almost need to go there and get that vibe to understand whether it is right for you.
It really is no different from anyplace else. I didn't feel welcome in areas of Florida primarily because my wife was not white. So be it.
Milolii, South Kona, Kau are remote areas with consideration to convenience. Even thought they are only 30/45 min. from Kona on the map you will find yourself on the road longer in most cases. If you are planning to commute to a job or office in Hilo or Kona you will find the one to lane winding "highway" will become tedious.
Don't get me wrong, I'd move to Kau before I moved back to the mainland it's just a matter of what you are looking for.
I prefer rainforest and cooler elevations above 1000 feet.

"Puna Gnome for President"

I agree on the cooler, higher elevations. Last time I was on the BI, we looked at afew condos, and when we went to th Kona Coffee Villas, in Honalo, it was around 1000 ft up and it was TOTALLY different temperature wise...way more comfortable. I think maybe living that high up is a better bet for me if I were to live there. The amazing thing is, the unit had an amazing almost 180 degree ocean view.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying it.

Edited by - tikiyaki on 09/15/2006 13:08:51
Check out my Exotica CD at www.tikiyakiorchestra.com
aloha tikiyaki,

if you're FOB (fresh off da boat) and haole, miloli'i might not be the best spot to invest in first. it is understandable why the local hawai'ians there might "stink eye" the visitors. as others have stated, this is one of the last spots where they try to live a traditional life, and more homes and malihinis only mean they get pushed out even more. like the native americans of the states, they've often been given the crudiest land to work with. there will probably be more equally-affordable spots towards hilo, that won't disrupt the aloha....

just my opinion. good luck in your travels and search....

aloha,

holahan