Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tsunami Alert - Friday 2/26/10
Not that this is useful now as it was a forecast, but it's interesting and a fascinating picture:

http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/chile/chileem.jpg

Sent to me by Keera.

Tom
PaulW
quote:
Expert on tv just said max 1 meter (3 foot) surge in Hilo.
Do you happen to remember who the expert was? He or she got it pretty much spot on.

Tom
TomK
I think one of the guys at the tsunami center in Honolulu predicted that, saw it on tv (KGMB9, probably). He was looking at data from the Marquesas, if I remember correctly.

The night before the tsunami I'd heard on tv that the wave was almost certain to be under 9 feet because that's how high it was in Chile. So I wasn't concerned and had a good night's sleep until the siren went at 6am.
What a beautiful morning it is - waking up safe and sound, listening to the rain!

Some days it just doesn't get any better.
Happy everyone is safe and sound! We were watching TV and listening to KAPA from the mainland, wringing our hands. Can't even imagine how scary it was to be there.

Just curious, were any areas flooded by the rise in sea level? I'm thinking Wai'opae, which seems to flood a little every high tide.

Glad things are getting back to normal for you folks!
quote:
Originally posted by Erlinda

Happy everyone is safe and sound! We were watching TV and listening to KAPA from the mainland, wringing our hands. Can't even imagine how scary it was to be there.

Just curious, were any areas flooded by the rise in sea level? I'm thinking Wai'opae, which seems to flood a little every high tide.

Glad things are getting back to normal for you folks!

I live near there and when we went by at 3 PM it did not look any worse than a high tide in June/July where we get the 3's.