Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
grade schools
quote:
Hilo is more desirable because its got infrastructure,jobs,better schools and its a college town so it will be popular and sustainable for investors plus locals like it because they seem to like not having much of a work commute.But it is a bit congested,more expensive and more rainy than some parts of puna.

At the risk of sounding prejudiced (which I try not to be) I will tell you what I have been told (by locals) about Puna schools.It seems that Puna having mostly plantation families that do not value an education is the problem.
Elementary there are not to many discipline problems they are just sweet little babies anyway.Its the curriculum in that instance. I know that first hand when my son was an honor roll student the entire time he was in Keaau elementary,when he went to Keaau middle he became a failing student.So after the 1st semester I took him out and when I went to the various private schools they all tested him and said he was way behind their curriculum and had alot of catching up to do. Remember this is an honor roll student we are talking about according to keaau's standards. So he went (and still does) to Christian Liberty school who said they would help him catch up.So back to what happened at keaau middle.Kids from mountain view have to go to Keaau middle and its seems there is a big rivalry between mt. view and keaau this results in lots of fighting and a totally non academic atmosphere (I'm sure the age has a lot to do with it to) Basically its not considered cool to get good grades and at that age all they care about is fitting in.The teachers are frustrated because they do not get any support from the parents as this rivalry is accepted in the local community.
This has been my experience maybe (like some of the subdivision seem to)the schools have come a long way lately I am out of the public school loop and I don't want to subject my kids to being guinea pigs again.I know nothing about Oahu schools to compare.But its worth searching the topic on this forum as there have been lots of opinions on puna schools.Personally just because of the poor curriculum thing I would consider private school if its at all possible at least until high school.hope this helps Smile

What doesit cost a year to put your child in Christian Liberty School?

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
One or two more on schools.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA