Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the best ocean beach on the island?
I like Hookena and Punaluu. I've only been to Hookena once so far but I have to say I love it, it's the perfect place to relax and enjoy the beach. I stayed until the evening and saw the sun set at the horizon, simply great - got there if you have the chance.
Discovering the different beaches around the island is like a lifetime treasure hunt. There are dozens of great beaches. There are so many things that make up the desirability of one beach over another. There is no "best beach", there are many, many great beaches. When asking about the best beaches, you need to be more specific as to what the criterias are. Are crowds a factor? Is drive-up in your Camry a requirement? Are you asking for a particular occasion? etc. etc. The whole adventure of discovery of B.I. is a huge part of the excitement here.

Happy Hunting, Dan
oooo, I love Hapuna!

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
We were just at Hapuna yesterday. Beauty day. Nice little ankle snapper waves, just enough to slosh a bit without being a danger to keiki. Clear blue warm water, clear blue sky (for once on Kona side lately), beauty white sand, enough wind to cool off a bit without blowing too much sand around, a big turtle wandering past drawing crowds of curious folks behind like multiple barges behind a tug boat.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Yes...I think after all this input...I've decided that Hapuna still is going to be my ocean beach of choice. I was there last weekend and it was so beautiful. No vog!... The water turquoise, the sand white as white can be, a slight breeze to keep things cool and yes even green sea turtles swimming up close and personal with bathers.The waves were mellow and it has easy access including right next to the beach handicapp parking....lifeguards on duty for the publics safety,and even a food stand if you need something. And to top things off...it wasn't very crowded.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=411052&l=9ba7e0e7d2&id=100000224115565
Hmmm, I think the better question is The BEST beach in Puna? Big Grin

As for Hilo Bay. Why is it no one swims there if the water is ok?
I guess I always think of fishing people at the bay...what about all the hooks and lines in the water? Maybe good entry at Coconut Island...dunno about swimming there really.

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com

Carrie Rojo