Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone feel it?
Is a 3.4 considered a big earthquake in Hawaii?

Alaska gets 11% of the world's earthquakes, anything under a 7 typically doesn't get much conversation at the water cooler.
quote:
Originally posted by Lin W

It’s still listed on the Did You Feel It? site under Hawai’i Region - a 3.4 at 4:21 a.m. local time, depth 1 km. If you go to the world map instead of the Hawai’i map, you can see the epicenter 50 miles east of Hilo out in the ocean, which, I suppose, is why it dropped off the Big Island map...

That makes sense then. It showed the epicenter originally near Hinalo street.

Terracore,
When you live on the side of the world's most productive volcano, and the lava is in the midst of changes in eruptive patterns, you pay attention to the earthquake maps. Swarms of little earthquakes are indicative of where the lava might pop out next, and 4s or better can coincide with rifts opening up and creating new eruptive sites. It isn't really about the earthquakes as much as being about what they can tell us is happening with the volcano.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
OK, the felt quake on the 13th is back on the local earthquake map as a 3.0 with a depth of 1 mile still. The one near Pahala disappeared though, I wonder if they will put it back too, after checking more of the sensors.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Well stated Carol (re: why we monitor even the little quakes). If I had a pet canary in my house that suddenly keeled over, I'd think "Oh, poor Tweetie!" If the canary keeled over in a coal mine, I'd think "Oh crap, where's my gas mask!"
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

Terracore,
When you live on the side of the world's most productive volcano, and the lava is in the midst of changes in eruptive patterns, you pay attention to the earthquake maps. Swarms of little earthquakes are indicative of where the lava might pop out next, and 4s or better can coincide with rifts opening up and creating new eruptive sites. It isn't really about the earthquakes as much as being about what they can tell us is happening with the volcano.

Carol

So how does this quake monitoring help? If you know that lava is going closer to your house what are you going to do?
Lava is under ALL the houses in Hawaii....where ya gonna go?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
PT and 8fingers,
Who said they were going anywhere or were planning to try to do anything about it? Some people prefer to live in blissful ignorance, and others like to try to stay informed of what is happening. It is just a matter of personal choice.

For me, I got really fascinated with how this volcano works when I was teaching Earth Science, so I pay attention and try to gather reliable data. Even the volcanologists are still learning how it works. For me it is as close to a hobby as I get, sort of like a friend of mine who keeps a super accurate weather station and communicates with other weather nerds. I guess I am a volcano nerd.

Carol
Carol

Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

I guess I am a volcano nerd.

[Smile]
Carol,
Blissful ignorance? Not me!!!
I'm very much interested in the volcanoes.

Forgive me Pele, I don't want to be misunderstood!!!

Smile
Puna: Our roosters crow first