Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Translate a Hawaiian name ?
How would you go about translating this name?
Kapuailohiamanonokalani

I tried dividing it up into Kapu a i lohi a mano ka lani. Still can't make any sense of it.

Puna: Our roosters crow first
Ka pua i lohia manono ka lani ?
Ka pua'i lohia manono ka lani ?

bluesboy.. are you the same one that posts on SSMB occasionally??

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” " Krishnamurti "
“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” " Krishnamurti "
quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

How would you go about translating this name?
Kapuailohiamanonokalani

I tried dividing it up into Kapu a i lohi a mano ka lani. Still can't make any sense of it.

It could be split up in different ways with different meanings:
ka pua i lohia manono ka lani - the sparkling manono flower of the heavens
ka pua'i lohi a manono ka lani - the numerous trickles of the sky [ETA: actually come to think of it, this one doesn't really make sense, because besides pua'i (flow) being inappropriate, it would have to be na pua'i]

I don't really know Hawaiian so that's pretty rough, and there are probably many others. It also looks like it may be missing a participle before kalani.
wow, beautiful name; and my name is Pat. How boring is that!
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
My name translates as "song unto the lord" which is ironic for a non religious person who couldn't carry a tune in a bucket to save my life.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
I want to thank you all for taking a shot at it!
Puna: Our roosters crow first