Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP General Membership Meeting this Sunday
Secession. Even if not directly successful, a good PR firm could turn it into a media circus. For best results, all the "neglected" subdivisions should participate, especially the ones with "private" roads.
Attending this meeting was a true eye opener. Yes there are many issues concerning Home Owners but some in attendance with there MOB mentality and turning on their neighbors, I found this behavior truly disturbing. This is no way to get serious issues resolved or treat your fellow neighbors. There is misleading information being spread around the neighborhood by those who just don't understand the BOD mission with this Survey. I was there to hear the explanation for this Survey by the Authors and I feel they are genuine in their message. Some just wanted to persecute these volunteers of our neighborhood, volunteers who don't get paid a dime for their time, who many of you voted in the position and now you feel they should be dismissed. I heard many bitch and moan about the finances yet many left after the bitch session was over and didn't stick around to hear the Treasurers report. And remember this BOD did not vote on this current 12 mil Bond Paving issue - they are just trying to deal with the mess as best they can. And as far as the Dust issue, let's not panic, the dust has settled for now and those of you complaining, well my Gosh! You bought in a sub-standard subdivision with the majority of roads being Dirt so what do you expect! And before I end I'd like to put one item into perspective, we have 140 miles of roads and vegetation in our Sub-Division, we are the second largest Sub-Division in the United States and HPPOA has 5 guys to maintain this area - Perspective Please People!
mass
Honolulu is no more incorporated than any other city in the State. It is the City and County of Honolulu and encompasses the entire island of Oahu. While incorporating cities may sound good - and may make sense for some areas - take into account the high cost of establishing and running a city budget. This is an option of HPP and other subdivisions lacking in infrastructure - but keep in mind that their populations are growing and with that increasing political power that, if focused, can result in solving many of the problems without the added expense of a city overhead.
Exactly right: "political power ... if focused".

It's going to take plenty focus...
My road fees are almost 1/4 the amount of my total real estate tax. If we were to become incorporated, this amount would be added to our county bill. There are a number of delinquent owners in our park that the board had difficulty collecting the fee from. If the charge came in on the county tax bill, it would become the county's problem to collect amd deal with the delinquency.
I would have liked to have voted on a moratorium on new road paving until there is a clearer path to solving our road issues. I don't like that a few roads will get paving with my fees with the likely event that under the current plan, most roads will never be paved.
(apologies for triple-posting, but...)

The "roads in limbo" program provides funding (via your tax dollars) so that County can pave "pre-existing" roads. One such project was recently completed in Mountain View; the new fully-paved mile is of great benefit to the few houses served thereby.

Literally: there's one house on the new road, and a couple of others are now "closer to the pavement". For comparison, each mile of numbered road in Hawaiian Acres has about 68 lots; at 25% occupancy, that same paving project would benefit 17 residents. (These numbers will be higher for many other "private/spaghetti" subdivisions; HA lots are wider than most.)

Seems to me that "most roads will never be paved" regardless of who is "paying for it".
At the time HPP was subdivided the county codes required all roads in all subdivisions to be to county standards. That was never done. The county failed then and continues to fail the Puna subdivisions.

They get away with it because no one takes them to court.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
...and whoever sues County over this issue will need to be a *former* resident.
Thanks to Jerry Carr (10/29 post) for the good word about PCMC, and to ericlp for wanting more info. Since I am not a troll, I will not respond on this thread, but will open a new thread tomorrow. Look for it - it's important.

mahalo and malama pono,
Rene