Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When you first arrive.. where to live?
quote:
Originally posted by David M

Would just remind you that less than 6 month rent is subject to TATax.

This is not accurate. The Transient Accommodations Tax applies to ALL rentals under 180 days... hotel, condo, apartment, house... IF you have a home elsewhere. The key word is "Transient," and here is how the State of Hawai'i defines it...

[quote]A transient accommodation is a hotel room or suite, apartment, condominium, house, beach house, or similar living accommodation which is rented for less than 180-consecutive days by and regularly furnished to a transient (a person who has a permanent home elsewhere).

So if you live in Minnesota, or Oahu, for that matter, and rent a condo for 30 days on the Island of Hawai'i, say, your rental is liable for the 9.25% TAT in addition to the usual 4.166% GET, which is assessed on ALL rentals... even long term leases.

But, if you have sold your mainland house, and are staying in that same Hawai'i condo while searching for a permanent home here, only the GET is owed, NOT the TAT. Note: you may need to explain this to your landlord or innkeeper, and even refer them to the State tax website, because many people are confused about this. No wonder, it IS VERY CONFUSING!

Based on many years worth of posts here and on other forums, I would add the following caveats...

Never make more than a 30 day commitment to a place you have not seen in person. There are many, many valid reasons for this warning. Do not ignore it.

Be very cautious with rental listings on Zillow and on Craigslist. They are full of scams, some as simple as phishing for your credit info, some collecting deposits and rental on property they don't own, some even more sophisticated, and there is no recourse if you get suckered. At least with VRBO you have a reputable middleman involved and are protected up to $10,000.

Good luck!
quote:
Originally posted by OpenD

quote:

This is not accurate. The Transient Accommodations Tax...

Starting a post with "This is not accurate" or "You are wrong" isn't necessary, and sucks all of the aloha out of the rest of your good-meaning post. Just sayin'.
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

quote:
Originally posted by OpenD

quote:

This is not accurate. The Transient Accommodations Tax...

Starting a post with "This is not accurate" or "You are wrong" isn't necessary, and sucks all of the aloha out of the rest of your good-meaning post. Just sayin'.

Thank you. My statement really was not, "not accurate", I just didn't elaborate on various conditions, which is why I suggested the OP do further research. I made no assumptions as to the OP's situation other than what be a worst case scenario. Many move here yet keep a foot firmly planted on the mainland.

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
I had dreams of buying three acres and living simple and working on the aina and creating my little garden...yes, a dreamer. Reality hit! I LOVE my little .3 acre piece of beautiful jungle land, too....LOL. So happy on my choice.

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
How do you deal with all the sounds on such a small parcel, which means if you wanna talk to your neighbor you open your window and reach out and knock on his. Every time your neighbors argue (or when you do) everyone hears everything because everyone's windows are always open there. That's the main reason for owning land in my opinion. I don't want to clearly hear my neighbors screaming obscenities at each other at midnight (or screaming for "other" reasons), and I certainly don't want my little kids to. I do, however understand why you don't want to be married to your mower as you said earlier. 3 years ago we had a very wet summer, and I couldn't keep up, hated it.
Thanks for the info on that tax, too. I plan to stay in a vacation rental just long enough to find a 6 month lease or a month to month. I wanna do most of my shopping while I am there, don't like sight unseen. I have some friends there who can help, but won't bother them until we have a more certain date of arrival. Right now it's,"when we sell our house"

comin' your way soon!
comin' your way soon!
I have moved around a lot of the island in the last 24 years.

When we first moved here, it was Waimea then Puako. Yes, Puako when you could actually afford to live there. $800/mo for a little house on the ocean.

Honokaa because it was mid-way for both of us - closer to Hilo so my then hubby could go to school. Then Hilo (back when everything was in hilo!)

Orchidland, HPP. Back to Honomu. Hi acres and then Kapoho where I have been for 8 yrs now.

Loved each place and each place had its drawbacks. Lived on a small lot, lived on a big lot.

Owned in Honomu (before boom) and Kapoho (after boom).

Welcome to the adventure.
I had never lived in town, always country, prior to moving here. It never even crossed my mind prior to buying here that I would live on anything less than acreage....and here we are, not only on a small parcel, but a towny!

One of the reasons that it helps to have the time to venture around, you do get a feel of the areas...

We chose a smaller place, in a fairly reserved neighborhood, Granted it took only one renter to add a whole lot of "flavor" & noise, but this is also a very well established, older neighborhood & many of the neighbors knew the landlords family (lineage) and it took only a couple of months & the very noisy renter moved on & everything settled down again....

Well, except for the feral roosters.... they are a whole 'nother story!
A daisy 10 pump and some practice would fix the roosters.

comin' your way soon!
comin' your way soon!
quote:
Originally posted by terracoreStarting a post with "This is not accurate" or "You are wrong" isn't necessary, and sucks all of the aloha out of the rest of your good-meaning post. Just sayin'.

Thanks, Terracore, you're right.

I had no intention to be harsh, but I see now I was too focused on getting the correct info posted to notice the unintended effect I might have caused.

I apologize.

OpenD