Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tourists please dont come here
From the Star Advertiser -- "An unidentified (corporation) has agreed to buy about half of downtown Kailua and other Hawaii real estate assets of Kaneohe Ranch Co. and the Harold K.L. Castle Foundation for $262 million."

Kailua is in for it now.
hey "doc" if you haven't lived there,,as I did for almost 30 years....you don't understand....there are lots of kanaaina..not FOB expressing the opinion
Many say that we are fortunate here on the east side of the Big Island - one of the last strong holds of the Aloha spirit

Studies / news paper articles have pointed to that fact as a reason many folk from the outer islands move here

and are increasingly predicted to do so as more baby boomers retire
I lived in Kailua in the 70's I would go to the beach to sleep because my bedroom has very hot by 10 AM. ( I worked from 8:00 Pm to 4:00 AM )

It was quiet and peaceful.

You do realize this is Kailua Oahu right?
Yes and the people living there bought homes in a residential community.In the 70's it was very peaceful and the beach was not crowded.Now it is wall to wall tourists and the illegal rentals are a big reason.
Guilty, almost. I stayed in an attached ohana in Waimanalo a few years ago. The main residence was owner occupied. They were very friendly and made us feel like family guests. Nearby beach park and mountain hiking trails, both of which we took advantage of. They were putting a couple of kids through college and we enjoyed helping them with that. For me it was a much nicer atmosphere than any hotel or resort but obvious not a luxurious. So, I don't think the're all bad but I can certainly see where it would destroy a "neighborhood" if it got out of hand. We did pay the resort tax.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Just had some family and friends visit for 2 weeks. The vacation rental they chose was #2 down in Puako for $400 a night. There was no hot water the first 2 or 3 days because the tank went bad. The place looked craped and shaby to say the least. On Sunday's, Tuesday's and I believe Friday's there were church activities with uncountable amount of people (very loud) to say the least. They hit all fruit market's which they loved. The fruit that was the eye sore was the PAPAYAS because they all seem to have these quarter size rotten ring spots. Now even though they are doing really well back in the states. They did not like paying $5.00 at Hapuna, $3.00 at Akaka falls, or Donations at places they couldn't simply ----. I lived in Puako back in the 70's and 80's and paid rent of $300 a month on both sides of the road. When the decision was made by the state to build a hotel at Hapuna, we the community were told you wouldn't be able to see it or hardly notice it from the beach huh?. Makes all wonder where the Aloha spirit is from the state of Hawaii? Does not seem to be towards the visitor's being over charged for everything now, or for the community who put's up with the changes in both land and visitor's attitudes. I am not excited to see the changes in the next 40 years here at this going rate. Tourist pick another destination for your hard earned $$$$$$$. Did not think I would miss DOI store and those monkey's?