Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Relief for LFA bite on pet eyeball?
We were using sticks dipped in peanut butter to check new plants for fire ants, then treating any plant that had ANY ants.
Our cats LOVE peanut butter, so they would carefully investigate any new plants.
Now both cats have fire ant eye, even though there's no other evidence of fire ants on our property.

Instead of peanut butter sticks, we now treat every plant to a thorough dousing of detergent foam (put a little dish detergent in a bucket, fill with water, dip plants until complete covered with foam and soil soaked in the soapy water), then add a sprinkle of Amdro for good measure. Gets rid of pretty much any bugs (the detergent breaks down the carpace), and doesn't hurt the plant.

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>
Try fresh aloe vera juice (from a fresh leaf) squeezed right into the eye.
Somebody told me to do this once when a bit of grease from a hot pan popped into my eye. I was a little worried but did it anyway, and I can't even tell you what a relief it was. Best of luck to your pooch!
What did the vet say/do ?
I gave him 25mg of Benadryl and an ice pack over his eye all night. He was fine this morning! It oozed a little around. 3pm so another Benadryl and it stopped. If it shows any sign of continued weirdness I'll take him to the vet. In the meantime he's having no trouble seeing the treat jar Smile

* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *
* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *
So strange, our dog sleeps with the fire ants. He likes to lay in the bushes that are the home to those little pests. I've found them to not be so bothersome to me personally but they really bother terracore and our daughter. We did have a chicken with cloudy eyes and I think that was fire ants.

hooligal, I hope your dog feels better!

Dayna

http://www.FarmingAloha.com
www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
Oh great! Glad to hear this!
How does one treat the fire ants. I watched the albizia eradication video linked on the forum and wondered if there was a fire ant eradication video. I found this one and it seems toward the end that Maui, Oahu and Kauai have programs to fight the ants but have given up on the Big Island. I hope this isn't true and that I misunderstood the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIUre6lz2GI

mella l

Art and Science Our Future

bytheSEA
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Our dogs are about 5 years old. They threw off symptoms of the initial LFA bites as younger dogs but the cumulative damage has caused them both to have pupils that look like they've been sandblasted. If LFAs are infesting places your dogs hang out think about removing whatever is attractive to the LFAs. For us that was a number of shrubs and the purple heather looking ground cover.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Carol, yeah I recently got rid of most of the heather stuff where my dog was laying. Mostly because *I* was tired of getting bit! I don't know what I'm going to replace it with however...

I wonder what sorts of plants LFA hate? That are nice and bushy and my dog can lay on.

I can see how cumulative effects can add up. Maybe my dog is fine now but in a couple years might have issues?

Dayna

http://www.FarmingAloha.com
www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com