Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FEMA Denies Request for Assistance
Ohana means family (only of course if you were born in Hawaii, otherwise you are nothing) you don't think that talking all that crap about the military drills and the mainlanders on top of hating being part of the USA and wishing you could be your own independent island and barely pay any taxes was not going to bite back?

You reap what you sow
* * * E N J O Y * * *

'Your whole idea about yourself is borrowed-- borrowed from those who have no idea of who they are themselves.'
'Your whole idea about yourself is borrowed-- borrowed from those who have no idea of who they are themselves.'
Wow! and to think there could have actually been a valid point buried in that spew if stated very differently.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I posted this a couple weeks back, but here it is again. It came from an article in the Star Advertisor (I didn't link it this time, 'cause it seems to now require a subscription.)

According to Zephyr Insurance Co, who has 30% of the hurricane insurance market in Hawaii (State Farm is number 2):

"Hurricane insurance coverage is activated when the National Weather Service declares a hurricane watch or warning, and the coverage remains in place until 72 hours after the watch or warning is lifted. For Tropical Storm Iselle, that means hurricane policyholders in Hawaii were covered Aug. 6-11. Damage incurred outside of that period, such as from strong wind when there is no hurricane designation in effect, likely would be covered by an individual's homeowners policy."
Source:Zephyr Insurance Co.

quote:
Originally posted by protoss

Ohana means family (only of course if you were born in Hawaii, otherwise you are nothing) you don't think that talking all that crap about the military drills and the mainlanders on top of hating being part of the USA and wishing you could be your own independent island and barely pay any taxes was not going to bite back?

You reap what you sow
* * * E N J O Y * * *

Respectfully disagree with your take on "ohana" (and the rest of your post). We have hanai ohana that is not blood, nor born here, but have the essence of true aloha in spirit and actions.

Fortunately, some of us can accept this position, however inaccurate. We're used to it. Funny thing is, the people who are born and raised here know how to cope without FEMA. In fact, were some of the first ones to gather up supplies and necessities, to help our neighbors and strangers, not just ohana.

This comment is so sad, and reflects the continued separation of our communities, and perpetuates the anger on both sides of this perceived "them and us" mentality. Auwe!

In my book, we are all ohana on some level. Hope you find aloha in your heart, protoss. It worthy of finding. More important, worthy of sharing.

Bottom line, this hurricane/tropical storm did not meet the FEMA criteria, and is possibly going to be appealed. Actually, FEMA would have helped far more people who were "not born here".

JMO.

ETA: Oh, do you eat spam musubi? (j/k) [8D]
Of course I eat spam musubi. Aunty Betty even has a musubi press.

opihikao

Thank you for all that you and your Ohana have done.
Don't even sweat FEMA its a waste of time and energy. I know tons of people who lost everything in hurricane sandy and FEMA successfully denied most of them and low balled the rest. I had friends drive five hours down from boston while all the bridges were shut down and they got here two weeks before FEMA. The taco trucks were giving people free food weeks before FEMA showed up with crappy MREs. FEMA fails on all counts usually.

It is better for everyone if FEMA doesn't ever show up.
I hear ya. It seems like a bad version of the govt doing something that we should instinctually do so well. Come to think of it, that's a lot of what the govt is. I'm sure there are some good FEMA stories out there as well. I feel proud to live in puna and what the community accomplished during this (moderately) devastating storm.
quote:
Originally posted by Obie

Of course I eat spam musubi. Aunty Betty even has a musubi press.

opihikao

Thank you for all that you and your Ohana have done.

LMAO! Aloha to you!

That's how we roll, Obie, musubis and all! We help each other, always have always will. Thank you for your contributions to our Puna ohana. Certainly we've all done our share, especially during these trying times.

As we wait for Tutu Pele to work her way around these parts, we won't depend on FEMA should any of our "Puna ohana" need help. If, at that point, FEMA decides we're worthy of support, great! Let's hope not.

DB, you're absolutely correct, Sir. Ditto.

JMO.

Happy Labor Day, y'all! Enjoy the day! [Smile]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNAQ8LLptUo
"Respectfully disagree with your take on "ohana" (and the rest of your post). We have hanai ohana that is not blood, nor born here, but have the essence of true aloha in spirit and actions.

Fortunately, some of us can accept this position, however inaccurate. We're used to it. Funny thing is, the people who are born and raised here know how to cope without FEMA. In fact, were some of the first ones to gather up supplies and necessities, to help our neighbors and strangers, not just ohana.

This comment is so sad, and reflects the continued separation of our communities, and perpetuates the anger on both sides of this perceived "them and us" mentality. Auwe!

In my book, we are all ohana on some level. Hope you find aloha in your heart, protoss. It worthy of finding. More important, worthy of sharing."

Opihikao, I've said this before but want to say it again: you are a breath of fresh air. Really appreciate your posts and perspective.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
punafish, BIG hug! We should all be in the same canoe. [Smile]

Sorry for the off topic, however, must share. When the kids came back today from hunting, they got a huge pig (210lbs.), and a smaller one (155lbs. both weights on the hoof).

One was named "FEMAH" and the other was named "OPUNUI". These keiki nowadays!

Smoked meat, laulau, kalua pig, to feed many. Mahalo Ke Akua.

JMO.