Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New business area for south Puna?
A "tourist ferry" to Pohoiki that lands -and there are shops, restaurant, historical board with lava timeline,scientific info and photos- plus personal stories, and a shuttle to the re-opened Alahui swimming Park. A good "daytrip". It would be a huge hit. There is already a playground for the kids built there.
quote:
Originally posted by Wao nahele kane

A more accurate lava zone map would select zones by volcano and those areas in threat from them. The zoning would continue down to imminent threatened areas by virtue of current activity. This would place the entire north of rift basin in the red zone along with every region relatively due south of rift of pu'u o'o.
This effectively would have warned all of the beaches/shores, ainaloa, HPP, pahoa, maybe lailani a bit, and to the other side Kalapana, Kahena, Sea view and place in between this listed and pu'u o'o. Including those areas within the parks boundaries under current down slope threat of Pu'u o'o.
As it stands with the current zoning, half my backyard is zone 1 half is zone 2 yet Pu'u O'o is of no real threat to our property. So I ask you, how is it a zone 3 in the shores/beaches or Pahoa is safer than where I live in Waa Waa while pu'u o'o flows? The current zoning is incorrectly used and not viable as a threat indicator, not by a long shot.

All the lava zones actually tell you is how hard to get and how expensive insurance is going to be. Any place on a rift zone could open up at any time, so anyone downhill from the rifts is at risk, that Kapoho papaya farmer who woke up one morning to find a lava fountain in his field is the perfect example. Pu'u O'o is the current eruption point, but not the only risk factor by any means. All it would take is a pretty good sized earthquake (5 or bigger) to change everything, and we get those on a regular basis.

Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
it will be wherever they put a gas station... as the closest gas to Pahoa now is Orchidland going the other was from lower Puna, and thats way too many miles from the coast, round trip...

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
I think we are in the "bargaining" stage of grief.