Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internet options Puna worse now than 1 year ago
quote:
Originally posted by Justin

Has anyone used the ViaSat service? I have a couple friends from college that work there, and they launched a new satellite with much higher bandwidth a year or two ago. Not sure what trade name the satellite service goes by, so maybe it's one of the services mentioned above.

ViaSat became Exede I believe.
Exede is a brand name of ViaSat.
Get off your lazy ass and do something besides bitching and moaning on Punaweb !!

Golly gee, you're right. After all, I have high-speed internet, so why should I bother to care about the rest of Puna as it slides further into irrelevance?

The NIMBYs have spoken: no technology needed here.
Seems like Pele has settled down. What is the consensus in the area ? Is lava flow into Hawaiian Parks, Beaches, Recreational estates still an issue? And if it might be is there any alternate route out of there? Is Beach road open to Hawaiian paradise park?

MAP
MAP
About the Volcano. This is Puna. Anyone subdivision is at risk. It's anyone guess. Where she goes, no one knows. Could head back down kalapana side... or Could head back over to HPP side... We all just take are chances here. It's part of the fun of living on an active volcano.
I also live in Orchidland and have tried (unsuccessfully...) to get DSL at our vacation rental cottage for the past six years. When I called about one month ago, Hawaiian Tel rep told me it was now available, and three days later I had 15 meg service. Service at our house was also upgraded to 15 meg service, and it's been more reliable than it's ever been over the past 6 years.

I had heard a rumor that Hawaiian Tel was going to increase availability in Orchidland, so if you're in the area, it might be worth a call.
The best of my options in the middle of Hawaiian Acres was to use my AT&T cell as a hotspot with a booster and antennae. I'm happy with it.
quote:
Originally posted by KeaauRich

I also live in Orchidland and have tried (unsuccessfully...) to get DSL at our vacation rental cottage for the past six years. When I called about one month ago, Hawaiian Tel rep told me it was now available, and three days later I had 15 meg service. Service at our house was also upgraded to 15 meg service, and it's been more reliable than it's ever been over the past 6 years.

I had heard a rumor that Hawaiian Tel was going to increase availability in Orchidland, so if you're in the area, it might be worth a call.

I hope you are right! But it's the exact opposite of what they told me a few days ago which was that they had no plans to increase service to the area.
My unlocked 890L Verizon Hotspot gets 300-800kbs; you can order them from Amazon ~$40ea. Verizon will give you a month-to-month contract+sim (no 2 year deal) if you already have the item. I don't like the fact that Verizon smacks you when you go over the monthly limit, so I use my Ipad sim ... AT&T tower, similar speed, $50/5g ... when the data runs out it just stops ... like it should!
***Still can't figure out how to spell 'car' correctly***