Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
furniture stripping
Does anyone know of someone on this side of the island who does furniture stripping? I have some solid hardwood furniture, not antiques, that really need to be completely stripped and then refinished. I know there are people in some places who use a dip process, that would be perfect, but I would settle for some other process if I needed to.
If you have the time and patience you can do it yourself with products available locally. I'm sure the stripping chemicals have gotten better and probably less dangerous than when I did it decades ago. If the wood has a lot of carvings or details it can be a PITA to do the sanding, if that is the case it maybe better to pay somebody to do it for you.
No time or space to do it myself, plus my partner is highly sensitive to a lot of chemicals, so I do not want to try this at home, thus the request for any leads for someone else who does this professionally.
Looking forward to the recommendations.

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
I had the impression that the dip chemicals were so unhealthy that they were outlawed several years ago. But maybe that was just California.

If you're going to a darker color, MinWax makes a stain and verithane or urethane (or somethingthane) all-in-one finish that's easy to use. Just sand the original finish to rough it up, and put one or more coats of the minwax. Stir the heck out of the minwax, it settles.

I realize this doesn't help you, shockwave, but might help others.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
Bryan Booth, the antiques guy down on Ponahawai Street, can either do it or recommend someone. Call him on (808)933-2500