Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very sad - father, daughter swept out to sea
Calif. man, daughter swept out to sea from Hawaii tide pools

CBSNEWS

MAKAPUU, Hawaii - A California man who was an experienced surfer and his daughter died after being swept out to sea from tide pools in Hawaii on Saturday.

Officials identified the pair as 46-year-old Mark Hornor and 6-year-old Mina Hornor. Both were from Berkeley, California.

Emergency crews responded Saturday to reports that the girl fell into the ocean while walking along the rocky shoreline. Officials said her father jumped in to save her before he also was swept away by the waves.

Lifeguards found both victims unresponsive and brought them back to shore.

They both were taken to a hospital in critical condition and later died.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/california-m...ide-pools/
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Then this happened nearby yesterday:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/32479...eles-chair
Woman seriously injured after jumping into water near Pele's Chair

It used to be these things were rarely reported. They seem to be reported more now or accidents are happening more often. Now, the news is starting to accuse the state of Hawaii is not doing enough to "fix" tourist carelessness, recklessness, outright craziness. Of course, most of Puna knows who is really responsible. Thanks, Obama!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hawa...e9f09197c9
Way Too Many Tourists Are Dying In Hawaii

http://www.parentherald.com/articles/429...ts-die.htm
This Is Why Many Hawaii Tourists Die

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Yes, sad. In my observation, there seems to be a lot less general "security" e.g. guardrails, here than on the mainland. Traveling the northwest road(?) on Maui from Ka'anapali to Wailuku, for example. It's free & wild here, which is alluring. Every tourist I meet, I always tell them "never turn your back on the ocean!". They usually say "oh, never heard that". It might be a good idea to have a brief live announcement by the flight attendant before getting off the plane as to the danger of the ocean. Even experienced local fishermen have been overtaken by rogue waves. Generally people don't listen to or read warnings unless it's in their face. Sounds crude, but you can't idiot proof everything. Just my opinion.
My cousin used to live just a short way from there until two years ago. Have driven by a few times. It's not a place that seems very dangerous really. You can check it out on google maps photosphere images quite easily to see what I mean. Must have been some big waves that day?

Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Educating the visitors to the hazzards seems to be the biggest problem...

Perhaps if there was a sign at the deboarding areas of the planes that said : (x) many people died or were injured this week/year...dont be careless.

http://i.imgur.com/HQmAQgE.jpg

..And the people bowed and prayed... to the neon God they made...
quote:
Originally posted by DoryGray

Yes, sad. In my observation, there seems to be a lot less general "security" e.g. guardrails, here than on the mainland. Traveling the northwest road(?) on Maui from Ka'anapali to Wailuku, for example. It's free & wild here, which is alluring. Every tourist I meet, I always tell them "never turn your back on the ocean!". They usually say "oh, never heard that". It might be a good idea to have a brief live announcement by the flight attendant before getting off the plane as to the danger of the ocean. Even experienced local fishermen have been overtaken by rogue waves. Generally people don't listen to or read warnings unless it's in their face. Sounds crude, but you can't idiot proof everything. Just my opinion.

Exactly, mahalo, DoryGray, especially the BBM part. SO sad, and tragic.

The "paradise" some envision here, can be so deadly. We were taught to (in addition to the bolded part) count the wave pattern; four or seven, on the norm. This was apparently a "freak set" (sorry, no better term) of waves, and they do come often, out of nowhere. Not to mention the currents that change like the wind.

Pahoated, if only the marketing of Hawai'i included the dangers of hiking, swimming/surfing/snorkeling/diving, lava viewing, etc., of our every day life, we'd be reading less of this kind of tragedy. Tourism efforts should really prepare our visitors of the realities of visiting areas past Waikiki. Puna (and Moku o Keawe as a whole) is certainly not from the days of "Hawaii Calls", "Gilligan's Island", and "Hawaii 5-0".

We need to do better in educating all (my mo'opuna get it daily on the dangers of "nature", moreso, at the ocean), especially our visitors. Very sad story. Condolences to their ohana.

JMO.

ETA: typo, sorry.
As I understand things, the father dived into the ocean to try and save his daughter. Absolutely heartbreaking.
Perhaps signs at the places that need a warning,
"x amount of people have died here, don't be the next."

On the other hand,the news here "Chicago" announces those stats regularly, no accounting for stupid

Don't be an sesquipedalian, Eschew Obfuscation.....

Sometimes, when I see the neighborhood children make small discoveries of their own, I wish I were a child.
With apologies to Dr. Seuss

Don't be an sesquipedalian, Eschew Obfuscation.....

Sometimes, when I see the neighborhood children make small discoveries of their own, I wish I were a child.
With apologies to Dr. Seuss

I love that the Father made sure his girl was not alone. He was a true Dad. Heartfelt condolences and Aloha to the Ohana .