Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Litigation Begins
Obie, 1 and 3 are regulations that could be changed. Not sure how to deal with 2. I think most people would be happy for quieter higher flying helicopters that vary their routes. ADS-B would be one way of verifying that, or possibly issuing fines for non-compliance. Giant high-contrast numbers painted on the bottoms of the helicopters could be another cheaper solution. "If you are close enough to read this, I am flying too low!"
“no person may conduct an air tour in Hawaii in a single-engine helicopter beyond the shore of any island

As mermaid pointed out earlier, on cloudy, rainy days the copters frequently fly off the coast around Kaloli Point. Do they have separate engines, one for blades and one for tail rotors? So those copters are not single engine?

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by Obie

“no person may conduct an air tour in Hawaii in a single-engine helicopter beyond the shore of any island, regardless of whether the helicopter is within gliding distance of the shore,”
That's a rule? Oh my, I suppose the tour operators never got the memo. Either that, or maybe it's another example of how the tour operators don't follow rules?
maybe it's another example of how the tour operators don't follow rules?

Let's see if we can connect the dots...

Enforcement of rules is a way of generating revenue. If you're a "job creator", then you're already generating revenue, so there's no need to burden you with those pesky rules. Tourism is the most important industry we have, why would anyone dare interfere?
Tax or ( Fee ) each tourist $75$ or $100$ per flight to pay for rail on Oahu on every island in the state of confusion ( Hawaii the Nation )
Mrs.Mimosa
quote:
Originally posted by Ino

Litigation Begins..
I sure hope you have some leverage, at least some state and/or county political support. And maybe a lawyer or two lallygagging around the place on weekends hatching strategy. What a minefield.

The one thing I can imagine that could fail the desired end result would be the park refusing to address all but the issue as it applies to them within their boundaries. And, by doing so, give the FAA an out in that they can hang their hat on serving the public's interests without actually addressing the routes to and from as well. But if one could argue an inherent responsibility shared by all stakeholders for the whole route rather than each only speaking for that which falls within their individual boundaries, and as such have the weight of the park aligned with the community's, that would be a major win.

This all, of course, is in the context of the feds being sort of rudderless, other than (or so it seems) their shift to big support for industry over the individual rights of citizens. Who knows who Cindy answers to these days? And, in this climate, what value the community will be given in relationship to the park? Seriously, given his behavior so far, I suspect Trump would take this as a reason to have the park go into the helicopter tour business itself. All's to say from his administration's perspective the community, any community, that stands in the way of corporate interests is screwed.

But man, more power to you!

Is it my imagination or have there been a lot more helicopters flying along the Kaloli coast today?
They almost drown out the cars and bikes.
How is this litigation financed? Is there a donation site?
I really like and can recommend peer.org or Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, https://www.peer.org/ we are co-plaintiffs with them.

I joined them and made a monetary contribution. They said they will see how it goes and could ask HICoP.org to help finance if needed. So we might be on the hook financially at some point.

HICoP.org has a GOFUNDME page;
https://www.gofundme.com/2thk7pcd?utm_medium=wdgt

Or you can just write a check and send it to
Hawaii Island Coalition Malama Pono
PO BOX 6002
Kurtistown, Hawaii 96760-0001

Several of our members have already spent thousands of dollars from their own personal funds. We are a non-profit and nobody gets paid but we are NOT tax deductible. We have lots of expenses for signs, room rentals etc. Every dollar helps and is used only for materials and never for our labor- Mahalo