Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Final phase done.....
"What has the USA ever done for us"

They built a federally funded highway, so "The Protectors" could comfortably drive up to Mauna Kea Access Road in order to protest their subjugation by the United States and state of Hawaii. Without irony.

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I'm surprised there aren't any stores or gas stations on saddle road.
there aren't any stores or gas stations on saddle road

For years, I've been thinking the wide-open spaces would make a great place for a retail big-box mall halfway between Hilo and Kona, thus preserving the "quaint" downtowns, and conveniently "not in anyone's backyard".

Just need DOT to build an overpass. Maybe connecting the two Mauna access roads?
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

what you equate kona with?

I equate Kona with Los Angeles: only go if you really have to.

I hear your conditions, but come on, one could only equate Honolulu with LA, and at that being somewhat lame.

Kona is among the cutest, fuzziest, smallest, seaside tropical tourist traps in existence.

"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"

Cheers,
Kirt
quote:
Originally posted by ElysianWort

I'm surprised there aren't any stores or gas stations on saddle road.

I've always thought the same thing. Especially after I once forgot to check my gas gauge and had to run all the way back to Hilo for gas.

Why is this? This is 'merica damn it and I need a convenience store every 1/4 mile!
quote:
Why is this? This is 'merica damn it and I need a convenience store every 1/4 mile!

"I thought there were 7-11's on the {fricking} moon!"

Cheers,
Kirt
a convenience store or strip mall midway on the saddle road would do well. it would need to be on the Mauna Kea side/slopes, as the Mauna Loa side is in a more dangerous lava zone.
The new connection from Hilolulu to Carna where speeding ticket$ abound
Flew into Kona last night.

2 hour drive from the airport curb to our home in Kapoho.Great improvement.