Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nuisance phone calls
When they do catch me on a call I tell them "I'd like to talk with you about that. Give me a minute I have something on the stove I have to turn off." Then I set the phone down and walk away/
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
They called back today so I played along with the robocall. It's (supposedly) from the Volunteer Firefighters Association.
Eventually you get passed to a real person to confirm your pledge and address so I did as leilanidude suggested and said I'm on the no call list and shall be starting legal action if they ever call me again. She hung up pretty quick. I'll have to see if this works, otherwise my responses to them may get a bit more unfriendly.

I don't care if it's for real or not, there is no way I would ever respond to cold calls.

By the way, if you ever give to a real charity, be prepared to be bombarded with pleading phone calls for the rest of your life.
Either do so anonymously or give it to a real real charity, like the Punaweb Christmas one, or Wikipedia, or your local food bank.
My solution is even simpler: ringer off, answering machine on, I don't care if anyone leaves a message, if they're calling on the phone I don't want to talk to them anyway.
Ah, it appears I'm not the only one who doesn't like phone calls.
I consider the phone a tool for my use. Never do appreciate the interruption..
I once told the Indian 'tech' guy that I indeed was having problems with bugs in my computer. He had no helpful information on how to keep the ants out of the machine though and hung up. It was true. I still have not found a perfect solution to keeping those little buggers out of my electronics.
SandyS - ha! I once had an ant inside my monitor -- he'd walk across whatever I was working on, back and forth. Lasted like a week until I assume he went to the great ant hill in the sky.

I wonder what changing outgoing message to something like this would do: "I'm sorry, but this phone does not accept incoming calls without an access code. Please enter your code at the sound of the tone." And then tell all your friends to ignore that.
Same thing today, this time it was for veterans. It feels good saying yes to everything and then ripping a new one to the unfortunate human that I get passed to.