Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Internet in HPP
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron S

quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

cable (fastest internet)

Spectrum doesn't do gigabit, last I checked.

Yes, they do. They've been offering it in East Hawaii since early summer
and in West Hawaii since mid-August.

Interesting... I hadn't heard that and their website doesn't seem to make it easy to find their available tiers. I currently subscribe to their 300 service. Do you have any link where I might find more information?

It's been reliable when the power is on. I have been disappointed when the power is out because I bought a decent UPS and Spectrum doesn't seem to back up the connection in Hamakua. I know from experience at my workplace in Hilo that it does remained powered on and live during an interruption. Fortunately whatever power backup AT&T has at the local tower works for hours and I can tether my connection to that.

Thanks for the info Aaron.
quote:
Originally posted by dan_c

Interesting... I hadn't heard that and their website doesn't seem to make it easy to find their available tiers. I currently subscribe to their 300 service. Do you have any link where I might find more information?

The catch is you have sign up under their Spectrum Pricing Plan, if your under a legacy TWC package. The 300Mbps tier is the highest available under the legacy plans. I don't have a link handy at this time, but prepared to pay more to be converted to a SPP.
Okay, here is what I found out for internet in our area of HPP, middle off of Paradise. I apologize in advance for being long winded, and, not very technical.

- Spectrum
Went online and reviewed their plans, typed in our address, corporate website said we had coverage. I had questions, so phoned and THEN was told there is no coverage on our street or area. I asked how far down does Spectrum cover and she could not tell me, though she was the "on island" rep. That's bad.

- Hawaiian Telcom
The sellers currently have it installed in the home. When I phoned HT, they told me there are "not any portals available". I mentioned that the sellers currently have service, and was told when they cancel, "the first person to call will get it". There is no waiting list, no good customer service in this regard. We heard this same lame policy 8 years ago when buying our first home! It is amazing to me that in all of that time HT has done nothing to meet demand and growth in Puna, especially in the big and popular HPP subdivision. That's bad.

- Verizon Broadband
This is a good option for us, except that they want a two year contract. A cell tower is half a mile from our home, so we would have a good signal. Good cell reception is essential to having good internet with them. They have something new called a "Smart Hub" sort of like a We-Fi router, I guess. There is no complicated installation involved, just a "plug and play" situation with easy instructions. Hub costs $49 one time fee. The plan is about a third more than Aloha Broadband.

- Aloha Broadband
Good customer service on the phone. They cover from 18th Ave all the way down to Beach. $200 one time installation of antennae; they use radio repeaters for signal. I imagine this will cut out from time to time with storms and wind. We've had this type of internet before.

Anyone on PW using Aloha Broadband? I am leaning towards starting with them, as I don't really want to do the two year contract with Verizon, although I had Verizon broadband and loved it, no problems ever.

Mahalo again to everyone!
Hawaiian Telcom
The sellers currently have it installed in the home. When I phoned HT, they told me there are "not any portals available". I mentioned that the sellers currently have service, and was told when they cancel, "the first person to call will get it". There is no waiting list, no good customer service in this regard. We heard this same lame policy 8 years ago when buying our first home! It is amazing to me that in all of that time HT has done nothing to meet demand and growth in Puna, especially in the big and popular HPP subdivision. That's bad.
----------
Here is how to do it...

You inform the seller of the house that cancelling that service will cancel your purchase. Instead, you do a transfer - Hawaiian Telcom does this all the time. I have done it 3x over the years. This way you keep the port tied to the house.
Thanks LDude. Are you happy with the reliability and service with them?
I had DSL for years with them until this spring when they went through and upgraded the neighborhood to fiber to the home. The DSL was very reliable (although only 7x1) and was fine for work from home, even with Webex.
WE have Aloha Broadband in lower HPP (on 5th and Makuu). Not by choice. It's the only thing available. We pay $65.00 a month for whats called "Ultra Standard". They say 7 down... but it averages more like 4. It's slow by today's standards. And it breaks up a lot with stormy weather and during peak usage hours (7 to 10pm weekdays). Steaming a movie is like rolling the dice. Sometimes it works...most of the time it doesn't.
If you want to use Verizon but without a contract you can use a mvno that uses the Verizon network such as Page Plus at $55/month for unlimited 4G LTE data.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/

There are others also that offer this kind on monthly service without needing a contract.
If you want to use Verizon but without a contract you can use a mvno that uses the Verizon network such as Page Plus at $55/month for unlimited 4G LTE data.
----------
Unlimited except that you get throttled speeds at some point. In some cases, speeds get really slow...