Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punaweb Exclusive: New structures on Saddle
I think Roth should recuse himself because of his past tendency to sympathize with the protesters. Didn't he drop the charges last time around? Someone else might (or might not) be more inclined to actually do a prosecution.
We must let the courts decide. In so doing, we must be sure that the process is beyond reproach. Eventually, everyone must recuse themselves, because their brother-in-law's first ex-wife's dog might have gotten vaccinated at a vet who could have an opinion.

Later, the protestors will summarily ignore any judgements deemed "inconvenient", while seeking the jurisdiction of a court which agrees with their position.

Clearly I am missing the point. After all, my share of the standoff costs isn't even quite $5, and that won't even buy a frappuchino these days.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

"What is this "very slippery slope" Tom? A description would be appreciated"

Having an ethics board that is not ethical decide who and who cannot be involved in trying court cases based on appearance rather than actual conflicts of interest. It opens the door to more local government corruption. Let a court decide instead.

bold by me...

That is a slippery slope...kinda like having the State AGs office represent Hawaii State, DOT, UH, OHA, DHHL, et el in a case in which ALL are participants and are pursuing individualized/differing legal outcomes. Just groovie!
Frank, it is almost as if creating special classes of people breaks democracy... You will always have different departments squabbling over budget etc, but we can at least have them all serving the same people.
“Courts”,”courts “ “courts”.....
Which courts? United States courts? The ones not recognized by the “Hawaiian Kingdom”? Those courts?

Puna: Our roosters crow first
Puna: Our roosters crow first
seeking the jurisdiction of a court which agrees with their position.

Make authorities cross every t and dot every i.
Let's delay so TMT must refile permit applications and wait for re-approval.
A hearing! We need a fair and impartial hearing where EVERYONE can speak.
OK, how about a Hawaii Supreme Court decision?
The Native Hawaiian people need a seat at the table for decisions which involve the Mauna Kea Management Area. We can have that? Well, now that you've offered that's not good enough.

If Roth recuses himself the protestors will find fault with Roth's replacement. Ask yourself, do the protestors want a fair and equitable platform so both sides of the issue can be addressed and then decided with a compromise, something for everyone? Or do they only want what they want?

"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
do they only want what they want?

They have been clear about wanting one thing: TMT must be built elsewhere. Thus...

the protestors will find fault with Roth's replacement

Anyone who supports TMT being built here has a conflict of interest and must recuse themselves.
"TMT must be built elsewhere"

There isn't a hill on this planet that isn't sacred to someone. I guess moving forward all telescopes will have to be built off the planet.

"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The strong will go to the stars."