Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The possible end of Cruise Ships in Hawaii
Hawaii is definately facing a challenge.

There was recently a conference on Tourism on Oahu about a month ago and a few things still seem to jump out at me.

1. ...Americans are traveling more often, but making shorter trips closer to home. They also have more destinations to choose from.

These trends don't bode well for Hawaii,...

2. ....Monahan warned of challenges tourism-dependent Hawaii will face in the coming years. The message was more bleak than in recent years when officials gathered to celebrate record visitor numbers.
State tourism liaison Marsha Wienert said Monahan's remarks were 'right on,' and agreed that Hawaii faces new challenges....

and finally

3. Resident satisfaction with our communities and our quality of life is critical to visitor industry success

If Resident satisfaction is not met, then the reflection will be seen by the tourists and slowly more and more people will begin to look at Hawaii as a "Dumping Grounds of the Pacific"

I wonder how many tourists go home and talk about all the homeless people begging in Waikiki now?

From this CNN article:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/arti...981650.htm

-----------------
Coming home soon!

Edited by - damon on 12/12/2007 14:52:24
quote:
What was your B-I-L doing before the cruise ships came?

My brothers wife was a CNA before this.

quote:
I wish the best for your BIL, however, you might give him a heads up now that this might be coming down the pipes soon.

We had a discussion over thanksgiving about this. Apparently the cruise ship making calls
to the Big Island was going to fall off next year anyway due to the fact NCL has reduced service here. There was a WHT/HTH article on this a few weeks ago.

Which is precisely why this rule change doesn't make any sense. There is no guarantee that NCL will ramp up service to compensate
for the reduction in service by these foreign flagged ships.

quote:
Is the product that he sells something that Local people wouldn't buy, therefore, the only people who he can sell it to, is the tourist?

Its targeted for tourists her business. Alot of people at that farmers market depend on the tourists buying their stuff.

Anyone heard of This Rumor yesterday that:

all Hawaii Cruises (NCL) have been "suspended until further notice

*Edit* update!

I've now heard that they are not suspended... just very booked.

-----------------
Coming home soon!
USA TODAY has this headline today:

'Misguided' government rule could shut down Hawaii cruises

Misguided... [Big Grin] had to laugh[Wink]

-----------------
Coming home soon!
*bump*

A second ship is now being pulled

-----------------
Coming home soon!
NCL says that the pull-out from Hawaiian waters is a beneficial thing for the company... but from the sounds of this they are laying off people at there Headquarters also!

Miami-based cruise operator NCL Corp. laid off an undisclosed number of employees at its Miami headquarters Friday, citing cutbacks in its troubled Hawaiian operations and a reduction in its fleet size for 2008.

-------
Today in History
The Great Mahele (land division) was signed into law, 1848
I was talking to a NCL employee recently about them pulling 2 of the ships and sending them to Europe and Asia. He said that it wasn't that the cruises weren't selling well. But guess which vital resource becomes much less expensive once you leave American waters? LABOR! He said in international waters workers have to work 60 hours to get paid overtime. Also, the wages are considerably less. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly how much less but it made $7.50 look pretty appealing.
If you get a chance.... Read Lingles and Arnold Schwartzeneggers letter to Homeland Security regarding these cruise ships they sent today.

At least Lingle's trying to fight to save these things.

But why is Arnold so concerned?

-------
The more we speak up... the more they will listen.
Maybe it's a good thing after all that Pride of Aloha is leaving in 9 days!

Look at This list of Violations from the Health Department!

Among the stomach-turning things on the ship cited by the agency, which inspects vessels twice a year: food kept past its recommended seven-day post-preparation period; a dirty meat grinder; counters covered with mold; inadequate sneeze guards in the buffet; poorly washed, food-coated coffee cups and plates laid out for use; and live insect larvae growing at a station at the ship's buffet

-------
Acceptance will take you further in life then Denial ever will
Great NEWS!

-------
blog