Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wild pig charged me
Pigs can't see very well and if they think they are cornered they will attack. I've had a few that attacked instead of running away even when they could move away.

Male pigs have tusks and they slash as they go past. Tusks can slice to the bone as well as through it if the pig is over a hundred pounds or so. They are also heavier than they look so even what looks like a small pig can do a lot of damage. One boar pushed his way through the fence in my back yard, ran up the yard, tusked the awa tree out as he went past since it was in his way and then pushed under the fence at the back of the yard and vanished off up the road. Scary beast and he had no reason to want to go through the fence except because he wanted to. He was probably about a hundred and twenty pounds.

There is no natural predator for feral pigs here except humans so we need to eat the pigs. Either that or just kill and leave the carcass to rot, but that is a complete waste. When the pigs get overpopulated they become susceptible to diseases, lice and eventually starve after they have eaten all the food. By the time they have done that, a lot of other birds and creatures don't have any more food, either. It is a lot like deer on the mainland, if they don't have hunting then the deer overpopulate until they get decimated by disease or die from lack of forage in the winter. In pigs, though, they have a similar physiology to humans so I would suspect a lot of diseases can transfer between the species.

We trap and eat a lot of pigs. They dig up our neighbors' yards and gardens so we manage to control the yard pig population somewhat. There is getting to be a lot more pigs out there, though, the pig population is not declining at all so we could use a few more pig hunters.

Early summer is when there is the least amount of fat on them, after guava season and avocado season the pigs are much fatter. This year the biggest one was about a hundred and thirty pounds, the smallest were about five pounds. Those work well for roast suckling pig, the medium sized ones primarily get made into kalua pig and the larger ones get cut into the more traditional chops and roasts. Lots of pork sausage and we are now investigating making bacon, but haven't quite gotten that down yet. The braunschwiger turned out real well surprisingly enough even though I only put in about a quarter of the amount of fat the recipe called for. All of my sausage has a lot less fat than the recipe calls for but I render the fat into lard for cooking with. Chicken fried in lard is really crispy! Just like my granny used to make and she used lard, too. It is probably all sorts of unhealthy but it sure is tasty!

We are now working on curing the hides, too, just so we won't waste them. These feral pigs are a great resource and when things get tight having free meat is a god send to many folks. Kamapua'a mahalo nui loa!

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

Kurt Wilson
Actually, it was just a month or two ago I had a pig related "duh" moment. Hawaiians made kalua pig because they had no metal. Roasting them whole in an imu didn't need pots or pans. Then shredding the meat after it is all cooked and soft doesn't require steel knives. Hawaiians were basically a stone age culture because they had no metals. They went from stone age to electrical age in less than 200 years. Is that amazing or what?

Kurt Wilson

Kurt Wilson

Beachboy, please do describe in more detail the disease which you say appears to have infected Big Island swine. What are the symptoms in swine? Are you sure it is a virus and do you know the name of the virus? Are you saying this biological agent (virus, bacteria, helminth, fungus, etc) can jump species from pigs to humans, or rather that eating thoroughly cooked pig flesh from an infected animal produces "spit farts" in humans?

Hotcatz, could you please describe the traps used for wild pig in Puna? I have wondered about such, particularly as regards how to not accidentally catch kids, dogs, or pets of various sorts in pig traps.

There are some solid epidemiological reasons to not leave dead pig carcasses laying about, nor even just their entrails. Odor and flies are just the start of it. Here following are links are to quick and informative reads --with a useful diagram-- on a nematode worm which actually killed one entire branch of my mother's family about a hundred years ago (her great uncle, great aunt, and their five children). This same disease was detected in pigs in Hawaii as far back as 1938 and has caused human infections as recently as 1986, that I can find record of:

Trichinosis fact sheet, via New Zealand.

http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/pagesmh/1232?Open

CDC report on trichinosis in Hawaii, 1986.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00000853.htm

Early study of Trichinella spiralis in the Hawaiian Islands, 1938.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/4582480

New Zealand's Ministry of Health notes:
"Managing the risk of trichinosis for feral pig hunters
There is a risk that feral pigs may be infected with Trichinella. This means pig hunters are particularly important in the management and control of this parasite. Hunters should be aware of the following:

* Capture, transfer and release of feral pigs can spread infection into new areas, and should not occur.

* When feral pigs are captured and killed, discarded offal and off-cuts should be buried to avoid scavenging by wild animals, perpetuating infection in wildlife reservoirs.

* Persons butchering feral pigs and handling meat should take standard hygienic precautions, such as thoroughly washing hands, knives and preparation surfaces following contact with raw meat."

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

Pres. John Adams, Scholar and Statesman

"There's a scientific reason to be concerned and there's a scientific reason to push for action. But there's no scientific reason to despair."

NASA climate analyst Gavin Schmidt

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(
Beachboy has me wondering about that pig with a tumor I posted on here that we ended up eating.

I'm glad I didn't get sick!

We have at least 15 - 30 pigs that wander on/off our farm.

I pretty much see them every time I go to feed the dogs.

If we don't keep the dog food in plastic garbage cans sealed up... the pigs will eat the Dog Food up at the farm.

These pigs seem to be more frightened of me then anything. They will let me get about 20 feet away... and then they scamper off.

I've been trying to get pictures of them, but I feel like Big Bird and Snuffalufagus... Every time I bring my camera to the farm... the pigs are nowhere to be found.

Then just on Monday of this week... I brought my camera up to the farm... and there they were... the pack of them... and just as I was about to start taking pictures... the battery ran out. (used it all week on the Pahoa parade and uploading pictures and forgot to change the batteries)

One of these days I'm gonna get some good pictures of these friendly pigs on our farm![^]

-------
My Blog
800 pounds? If fed really, really well as a pet for many, many years, yes, maybe.

the 200 to 300 lb range top is more expectable.
150 lb - 200 lb more normal.

Charging? (no, not with a credit card, Greg! -- I like that one!).
Mother sows protecting little ones, definitely.
Boars? I have heard from a few folks of being run down or nearly so on a path when a pig was in a full run -- not an act of aggression, just accidental collision. Possible this boar was being pursued by dogs or hunters and was fleeing in fear?

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park