Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava Viewing
i've hiked out to the flows many times and it is absolutly amazing, however going by boat and backing up to the flows is incredible.

Mella I'm new at this just used compass and backtracked on charted path that it maped.
You can see when your going off of the trail you came in on.

Aloha
Wyatt

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
About two months ago the lava flow split. When we hiked in from the Puna side in June, it took us three hours, now with the split, the new East Ka`ili`ili entry is a lot easier to get to. The skylight that Wyatt mentioned can be seen on the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory site at:

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/

Connie

Edited by - sittall on 09/15/2006 09:53:48
I was able to hike into Pu'u O'o last week. That was even more amazing than the time I hiked to the lava. We all were able to see the huge lava lake flowing under the east pond vent. None of use died, fortunately. We were with a park ranger who brought respirators, goggles, gloves, and was pretty cautious. Anyway it was the hike of a lifetime.

Where is the new East Ka`ili`ili entry ??? Better yet -- how do we get there, and is this an easy hike in, or should I not tell my five year old, and find a sitter?

Edited by - sittall on 09/15/2006 09:53:48

aloha all,

had a chance to take a fishing boat along the coast from pohoiki to the volcano park. UNBELIEVABLE! we would become engulfed in plumes of sulfur swirling like hurricanes from the laval. huge amounts of lava pouring into the ocean. we got close enough (about 10 yards from shore) to hear the crackling of the lava under the water. floating pumice rocks, exploding bits of volcanic glass raining down on us. it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. on one side of the boat, the water felt like a jacuzzi, on the other side, towards shore, you couldn't even keep your hand in the water! if you ever get the chance, and wanna roll the dice, take a boat out. its unreal. we were there about 2 weeks before that shelf dropped off last year. unreal. but hey, you only live once. also caught 3 ahi and an ono! i think they liked the warm water! thanks for jogging my memory....

malama pono,

holahan

Smile

to LuckeyBrown

As Wyatt mentioned, to get to the new lava flow from the Puna side, you drive to the end of hwy 130. Continue onto the cinder/dirt road that crawls slowly across the lava. There will be occasional short stretches of paved road that the lava did not cover. At the end is a cinder parking lot where you can see the plume. Now you get to decide if you are up for the hike over unmarked broken lava to where the flow enters the ocean.

If you are not the adventurous type, I suggest you go to the Volcano National Park and drive down Chain of Craters Road to the end where the rangers have set up markers and beacons to help guide hikers to the original lava flow. Its safer and you will have lots of company if you should need help.

Connie

Edited by - sittall on 09/18/2006 21:49:34