Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Convenience store in HPP - now open
Cat,
agreed, that is the the "web-work" I mentioned on a post prior to the one you quoted....

giving out anyones parcel #, or ID'ing their property, or any of their personal information, on a forum that is very open & high on search engines, without their permission, is not something I think is best, and Hawaii county has made it so that you do need to do a little searching, so maybe I agree with the county on some things...
When I refer to Watamull, it is the Watamull Properties Corp. who owns many large properties through the entire state, and buys and sells them all the time, along with appearing in the various Hawaii newspapers when they do for example - when they bought the West Maui Center a few years ago. So what WPC does is very much public information. This is not a family, or individual, or even a family trust that is due their anonymity. WPC is a privately held corporation and the actions WPC takes in HPP will affect all the residents.

I tend to agree with jerry Carr on this issue as it relates to WPC. It is actually the same as when we all discussed the property Paul owns where Long's sits.

Thank you for the clarification, Cat. In some of HPP's dealings with the WPC, we have been referred directly to some Watamull family members when discussing some of the deed restrictions on the HPPOA owned 20-acre parcels. This would lead me to believe that the corporation is privately and closely held by surviving family members (the Watamull patriarch and primary founder of HPP died some years ago), but I would have to look at the corporation's charter filing to know this for certain. I don't know where to look for that information, though.
[url][/url]http://hbe.ehawaii.gov/documents/search.html;jsessionid=C48D8891CFE946C37F997EB16D45F7E3.liona

Thanks for the link, mdd. There are several limited liability corporations listed under WPC, and all have someone named Watamull listed as a principal. The state website charges for a complete charter listing, so I wasn't able to see all the parties. (Too cheap to shell out $7.50 for docs.)
quote:
Originally posted by Kapohocat
Carey - you can not search the county records on line by the name, you must have the street address or at least street name or TMK #. You must go down in person to the HI Real Property tax office to do so by name unless you are a realtor; they have some access by name.

One could search the county tax records by name online until about eight years ago when former Mayor Kim apparently caved under pressure from homeowners, including some from out of state (that's what I was told), and removed that capability.

I think that was unfortunate, as property ownership is definitely public information.

It was unfortunate for my work as clients more often than not get their TMK # wrong when they first give it to me and we used to go "oh okay, let me try to pull it up by your last name"...

But the flip side is some of it is beneficial if there is a DV victim that doesn't want to be found. So two sides, eh?

And someone makes a profit on John Rabi's + others $70/mo!
Some years go I noticed on the tax records that Shipman LTD. paid about $6,000 per year in taxes on about a thousand acres (as I recall). I mentioned this to Bill Walter, CEO of Shipman, just as a passing remark and low and behold the ability to look up a property by owner was removed a month or so later. Probably no connection at all.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by Kapohocat

But the flip side is some of it is beneficial if there is a DV victim that doesn't want to be found. So two sides, eh?

But the information is still available down at the tax office, which means the convenience part has been removed for all.