Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An interesting discussion about the police...
One of the most dangerous jobs in America is graveyard shift convenience store clerk, usually a single parent female working for close to minimum wage with no benefits, because it is easier to get cheap or free childcare from friends and family when your kids are sleeping.

ALL workers do deserve respect for what they do, Studs Terkel's "Working" really impressed me when I was in my early teen, just the stories of the work people do every day trying to keep their homes and families together, an eloquent read.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
The student asks the master: "What work will I do as I seek enlightenment?" The master replies "Chop wood, carry water." "And what work will I do once I achieve enlightenment?" asks the student. "Chop wood, carry water" replies the master.
quote:
"And what work will I do once I achieve enlightenment?" asks the student. "Chop wood, carry water" replies the master.
Best post yet. Same same all over the world.
My take on this thread can be divided into two areas. First, the letter to the editor from the union guy, and secondly the police here in general.

I have a problem with what I perceive as arrogance in the SHOPO letter on two levels. Obviously, it would seem to be a put-down for the other county employee categories mentioned in what could only be seen as derogatory and utterly disrespectful terms. "We are more worthy of respect than they." Secondly, when just about every other group of county workers has had furloughs or pay cuts, from the Mayor's office on down, what sort of hubris and audacity makes this union think it should be exempt? Like I said earlier . . . arrogance. IMHO, this letter actually does a disservice to our police officers and their image.

Now for something on the police hereabouts in general. As chairman of one of the larger Neighborhood Watch groups on the Island, I have worked with three police liasons. As a citizen, I have filed several police reports with and also been interviewed as a witness by a number of different officers. My NW liason guys have all been absolutely engaged with the community, willing to give extra effort, and brutally honest about the limitations of police resources and methods in Puna. The other officers with whom I have interacted have run the range from going the extra nine yards, to meeting the average expectations, to being sub-par or even indifferent. In other words, they are pretty much like any other profession compromised of human beings.

When the SHOPO rep wrote his letter, he seemed to be holding up a stereotype of the policeman as a hero above reproach and above making financial sacrifices in hard times. Some, but not all, cops certainly live up to the hero image. The ones who do live up to that image are exceptional, and I'm guessing they might just understand the need for sacrifice in hard economic times.

Disclaimer: These are my own personal opinions and observations, and not necessarily those of the HPP Neighborhood Watch organization or its individual members.

quote:
Originally posted by JerryCarr

My take on this thread can be divided into two areas. First, the letter to the editor from the union guy, and secondly the police here in general....

Jerry, very accurate assessment I think. The guys who would deserve merit bonus if we had them, would be exactly the ones who would never ask or angle for one. And yes, same as any profession... Who do we need more nurses or doctors? that is an endless battle if you work at a hospital.

I was surprised at the farmer stat, and of course once you think about it midnight convenience store clerk is pretty dangerous. Good thing for the stereotypes to be shaken up occasionally.

As for the burning building scenario, the fireman keep going in long after it becomes really hazardous... that would be my only caveat.