Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the roundabout
quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

Better get different signs then, because "Right Lane Ends, Merge Left" or "Merge Left" means the right lane yields.

It doesn't. It means, "At the point of merge, ahead, the folks to your right will be coming into the same lane as you. It would be nice if you let them in." A merge is not a yield. It is a merge. As in "join."
Yeah OK, sure, in your dream world. Of course courtesy is always nice, but it's not required.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
So the roundabout, kinda hard to turn left into oncoming traffic in a roundabout? I agree there might some fender benders but definitely not 50 mph+ T-bones as regularly happens at that intersection.

Quote from the Highway Driver Manual:

"ALWAYS YIELD TO VEHICLES IN THE OTHER LANE WHEN CHANGING
LANES. If the desired lane is congested, enter at the end of the line; don’t
run up ahead and crowd in. If you cannot make the lane change at the desired
location, remain in your lane until you can safely make the change; even if you
are inconvenienced."

Source: http://hawaii.gov/dot/highways/hwy-v/HID...Manual.pdf
Puna: Our roosters crow first
I think a good sign to post at the bottle neck would be "Merge with Aloha".
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Ah, but then we'd have to get the lawyers to define exactly what "aloha" means to remove any trace of ambiguity in the merging process. For example, can we assume that "merging with aloha" assumes the zipper method? Am I allowed to let 2 or 3 cars in when I'm overflowing with aloha, or will the folks behind me get ticked off? And how to merge with aloha when no one else wants to let you in? :-)

On a serious note, a local colleague once said to me, "It's easy to show aloha when things are going well. The real test of aloha comes when it's inconvenient to do so."
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
quote:
Originally posted by Kapohocat

... not 50 mph+ T-bones as regularly happens at that intersection.

Your point is good Cat.
Lower speed at intersections, fewer points of potential conflict, no high speed rear end crashes, and no T-bone crashes are all a major part of why the real world data has shown and with more and more roundabouts being built continues to show that not only are there fewer crashes where signaled intersections have been converted to roundabouts, but the severity of crash is also reduced -- less property damage and fewer incapacitating injuries.