Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lightning links wanted as the thunder rumbles
Mahalo for the links and great info. Hail came down over here the size of Coco Puff cereal! Yikes![:0]

Stay safe all.
I am actually enjoying this weather, so far... Thanks for the person lightning detector idea Tom, as I know a couple of people with towers who may be interested.

Peace and long life
Peace and long life
Well you guys are sure a bunch of brave souls! When lightning is striking all around my house I'm shakin' in my boots!! And the poor dogs! They have to all be rearranged to better shelter and given dog tranquilizers! Does lightning ever hurt or kill people if they're in their houses?? I grew up where there was no lightning so it's all new to me. Happy New Year!
More from the CFHT atop Mauna Kea - this is spectacular, especially after midnight!

http://www.cfht.hawaii.edu/en/gallery/cloudcams/index1.php?opts=movies&moviefile=data/movies/Dec30-2013.mp4

And sistersue, from personal experience I can tell you that lightning can get you even indoors, best to stay away from screen doors when lightning is close! Many years ago during a storm the power went out at my place and the lanai was flooding. I tried to check how bad things were by using a flashlight inside the house. I put my hand on the screen door and a few seconds later a lightning bolt struck the ground about 10-20 yards in front of me in the yard. My hand was blown away from the door with me following it rather involuntarily. Although it wasn't too painful my hand was tingling for hours afterwards. A friend of mine also had a bad experience here. Lightning hit a tree in her yard then travelled along the ground into a room and blew out all her electrical equipment in that room. You could see the scar in the ground for months afterwards and the hole in the wall where it blew into the room. It's rare that sort of thing happens but always best to stay towards the center of your home when the lightning is intense.
Maybe this was the better thread to stick this in.

Lightning show from above the clouds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqvlJociW-o

I had lightning close enough to raise a tingle, and took out our power and phone. It opened the breaker at the pole. Fixed this morning. The land line? Feb 17th is the appointment. I don't get cell in my house. This is unacceptable. I'm through with lightening for now. Go away.

Peace and long life
Peace and long life
Could be worse......good old Roy - struck 7 times.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Sullivan

usually the lightning comes with tropical storms or wanna be hurricanes.... this seems to be a giant cold front - the summer storms colorful - white, yellow and blue lightning

good luck on telco
It looks as though the Hamakua coast is getting pounded again tonight. I can see lightning to the north but nothing intense so far, but there is some cold air aloft moving in from the north west and heavy rainfall is occurring near Ookala. The forecast actually has another system moving in next weekend so this may be an unpleasant week or so, depending on your personal preferences!
all I can say is beautiful.
Yeah, what a light show last night from mtn view looking towards Hilo! All kind of bolts racing across the sky